Wooden Cups

Pointfiveone.5

Dru
Senior User
Alcohol dissolves shellac.
have seen traditional cups finished with lacquer and poly... have also seen to use something basic and food safe like walnut oil which is very traditional as well...

i definitely will be pouring alcohol into the cups i intend to make so i'm curious what, if any, other's experience has yielded.

awldune

Sam
User
Seems like a beeswax finish might be good if you don't use it for hot drinks. Certainly a food-safe option.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
All finishes are permeable so you are looking for something that heat and or alcohol will not wash away. So, I would give a varnish a try. All finishes are food safe when dry. With that said I would not use a film finish on a cutting board because I’m going to be cutting into it and I don’t want abraded finish in my food. On the other hand I’m not going to chew on the cup either. So again I’d probably use a varnish.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
I used Behlen’s Rock Hard Table Varnish.
Thank you
All finishes are permeable so you are looking for something that heat and or alcohol will not wash away. So, I would give a varnish a try. All finishes are food safe when dry. With that said I would not use a film finish on a cutting board because I’m going to be cutting into it and I don’t want abraded finish in my food. On the other hand I’m not going to chew on the cup either. So again I’d probably use a varnish.
Thank you
I used Behlen’s Rock Hard Table Varnish.
just ordered it on Klingspor, thanks

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A friend asked me to make white oak bourbon tumblers and char the inside.
Hard to find white oak in that size, what I bought had internal checking that was hard to work around. I turned one, charred the inside, poured it full of water, it leaked.
I wasted $50 and my friend is not happy.
I’m not making any more wooden glasses.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Behlen's Rock Hard skins over quickly, so best not to buy too large a quantity. Use of Bloxygen (or even propane) will remove the oxygen for storage. I have used it after it has skinned over (broke the film and decanted the liquid under it) with no problems in the remaining coating, but don't recommend doing that. It tacks up very quickly, so don't dawdle when applying it.

I have found it to be a very durable coating, having used it on dining tables, computer desks, etc, all of which are holding up well after 10 years of use.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Behlen's Rock Hard skins over quickly, so best not to buy too large a quantity. Use of Bloxygen (or even propane) will remove the oxygen for storage. I have used it after it has skinned over (broke the film and decanted the liquid under it) with no problems in the remaining coating, but don't recommend doing that. It tacks up very quickly, so don't dawdle when applying it.

I have found it to be a very durable coating, having used it on dining tables, computer desks, etc, all of which are holding up well after 10 years of use.
Thank you

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors