Wood Type

berlygurl

New User
Berly
Can anyone tell me if this mahogany? I'm pretty sure it is veneer even though the table is heavy enough to be solid wood. Thanks.
PXL_20230903_172237377.jpg

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Not sure but it looks nice. Weight is not a good way to tell unless you can do a good density calculation (requires volume of material as well as precise weight). Man made materials like plywood and particle board (or MDF) are heavier than solid wood (normal species anyway). A table built with a MDF or particle board core veneered in mahogany would be heavier than one with a solid mahogany top.

berlygurl

New User
Berly
Not sure but it looks nice. Weight is not a good way to tell unless you can do a good density calculation (requires volume of material as well as precise weight). Man made materials like plywood and particle board (or MDF) are heavier than solid wood (normal species anyway). A table built with a MDF or particle board core veneered in mahogany would be heavier than one with a solid mahogany top.
It is nice but way too big for the space so I want to sell it. Can't sell if I don't know what wood it is.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Based on the photo, Grain not color, I would say Cherry.

I agree. It looks like furniture factory cherry veneer that's been bleached and stained back to that shade of brown. If it is heavy, then likely the core is particle board, depending on the age. Solid cherry cut like that would warp a lot so veneering over particle board (or other man-made sheet goods) is the best way to keep that top flat.

Bleaching and dye staining is how factories can put a good wood veneer on the top and then the legs and other parts can be made out of less expensive woods and made to appear the same color as the top.

berlygurl

New User
Berly
Thank you all for you I put. I am hoping to clean it up and sell it. The table is just to big for my kitchen. Now I will have a better chance of listing it properly.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS