Wood Sourcing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Well folks, I might as well just jump right in. I don't have a band saw, jointer, or surface planer so my hardwood purchases will likely be limited to S4S or S3S. I do have a nifty Bosch 4000 table saw (with their stock 40 T combo blade) that I really like. I'm considering buying a 6" jointer, but...

I've found the following so far:

Wall Lumber in Mayodan (very good prices & quality on this site review)
niagaralumber.com (prices include NC delivery)
hearnehardwoods.com (pricey, probably FAS)
groffslumber.com (FAS & Common/BTR. can mill to specs)
yukonlumber.com (In Norfolk; my son lives in VA Beach)
bairdbrothers.com (In Ohio, my source for S4S thus far. Shipping $$$)

Some will surface and gang rip one edge to customer specs for minimal additional cost. Wall's UPS bundles of 4/4 and 8/4 are milled to S2S 13/16" and 1 3/4", respectively; the shorts (S2S) are only available in 4/4 milled to 13/16".

If S3S can I get a pretty good straight line cut on the table saw? How true is typical gang ripped S3S in your experience? Maybe buy a 60 T Freud combo blade? Forrest Woodworker II at $110 is a bit pricey. Jointing would be ideal, but I don't have a jointer.

If S2S do any of you folks near Rougemont offer a fee-for-service rip/joint for about 20-50 bf?

Locally, Wall's seems pretty good & I'm always looking for an excuse to take a nice ride in the country. You never know where the deer and turkey will show up.

Thanks.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
You might consider the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. It is closer than Mayodan and with gas at $3.65++/gal. every mile not driven helps. I buy from them quite frequently and have always been very satisfied. I believe they will surface it for a small fee.
http://www.hardwoodstore.com/lumber.html

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Stuart,

Thanks for the heads up. Their website is helpful and their milling prices for S3S or S4S are nominal. I noted that both FAS and Select/BTR are both available depending upon their source at the time.

Your right about the mileage; MapQuest shows 47 miles to Gibsonville and just about 90 miles to Mayodan. At $3.50/gal the savings will easily pay for my milling costs.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Jeff you wont be dissapointed with The Hardwood Store. Everyone I've dealt with there has been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS