Wood Lathe Chuck to fit HFT Lathe - WANTED

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Well, "wanted" is a bit strong maybe as I've no need for one. Rather a thought that, if I had one, I might try wearing out the edges on one or two of the cutting things I've stored in the base I built for the thing after I added a link-belt to smooth out the operation (At first, it would try to walk across the shop).

I don't know enough about wood lathes to offer the specs necessary to tell you what might fit - but, if you tell me what to look for, photograph and/or measure, I'll comply ASAP.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Does it have a threaded end ? some don't from what I was told.

Anyway, typical is a 1"/ 8tpi if I remember correctly. You can hand thread that pretty easily.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have a Harbor Freight full sized lathe. It is 1 x8 threaded. The nova Chuck fits it.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Like Berta and Oka said it *probably* has a 1x 8 tpi thread on the nose of the spindle. So any chuck with a 1x8 tpi female thread would work. But check your user's manual or measure the threading to confirm.

Lots of quality chucks for sale with that threading.

-Mark

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I have a Harbor Freight full sized lathe. It is 1 x8 threaded. The nova Chuck fits it.
I count SEVEN (7) RIDGES (threads) over 15/16" (measured from top of left ridge to top of right most ridge)
Mine does NOT have the VS
So "So any chuck with a 1x8 tpi female thread ?"

Thanks!

Attachments

• LatheWoodDSC314.JPG
    LatheWoodDSC314.JPG
    590.4 KB · Views: 98
  • LatheWoodDSC33.JPG
    LatheWoodDSC33.JPG
    582.5 KB · Views: 93
  • LatheWoodDSC31.JPG
    LatheWoodDSC31.JPG
    595.6 KB · Views: 168

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
When I went searching for a chuck with a 1x9 TPI female thread - I came up with adapters - no chucks!
e.g. (from Amazon)
  • Brand new Lathe Spindle Adapter for PSI & Similar Lathes to chucks or any lathe accessories.
  • This adapter has a 1" x 8 TPI female thread to fit your PSI lathe Headstock or machine spindle
  • The other end is male threaded M14 x 1 for lathe chucks & accessories.
I'll have to see if I can find the 'manual' that came with it.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
My first lathe was a Harbor Freight model number S36066 and it was a 10 TPI. So not all Harbor Freight lathes are the same TPI. I have since sold this lathe but still have the Nova adapter and Nova chuck that I'd be willing to sell if your interested.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
lay a ruler on top of the threads. If the tops of the threads align with every 1/8", then your thread pitch is 8 threads per inch.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
have the Nova adapter and Nova chuck ... willing to sell
As a beginner, this lathe an tools was the equivalent of the Loaner Program I noticed (but did not add my name to) posted here the other day and my interest in a chuck was not driven by a project or need. Rather an interest in learning what such an upgrade might involve mechanically, financially an otherwise.

As such, if what you've got might screw on my tool, I'd be interested in learning your price and (as I am in Lenoir) where I would need to come to get it. Meanwhile, I've not yet laid hand on the 'manual' or part number. I'll have to look at the machine and see if the slave laborer fixed a label to it.

Thank you or the offer.

Attachments

• LatheWoodDSC319EnlargedFramed.jpg
    LatheWoodDSC319EnlargedFramed.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 94

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Maybe a photo of the front of the headstock on your lathe would help someone here with an ID for you.

I have a full sized HF lathe cobbled together from parts as well as a Grizzly. For all intents and purposes they are identical. In fact when I was searching for bearings for the HF I found a manual online. It was a duplicate of the one that came original with the Grizzly. Exception being the logo stripped into the parts drawing, and the name on the cover. Looking at the manuals, it appears JET sold a white version of the same lathe along with the same manual.

Chances are your lathe is one of a “family” of similar machines which can help with finding parts and accessories. Just need to figure out which branch of the tree its from.

good luck

mikeh74

New User
Mike
As a beginner, this lathe an tools was the equivalent of the Loaner Program I noticed (but did not add my name to) posted here the other day and my interest in a chuck was not driven by a project or need. Rather an interest in learning what such an upgrade might involve mechanically, financially an otherwise.

As such, if what you've got might screw on my tool, I'd be interested in learning your price and (as I am in Lenoir) where I would need to come to get it. Meanwhile, I've not yet laid hand on the 'manual' or part number. I'll have to look at the machine and see if the slave laborer fixed a label to it.

Thank you or the offer.
I’d like $100 for both the adapter and chuck. I’m in Durham.
09D43E9A-A8CC-4C89-BC57-8E6A17F5FAA9.jpeg

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
lay a ruler on top of the threads. If the tops of the threads align with every 1/8", then your thread pitch is 8 threads per inch.
Worst case , go to a real hardware store and buy a 1x8 nut and see if it fits.

For example my local Tractor Supply stocks them.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
As promised, I went out a took a picture of mine. It looks like the same threads, etc as yours.

Attachments

• 45AAF6A1-D192-4CEF-B97B-9F0A7CC24D41.jpeg
    45AAF6A1-D192-4CEF-B97B-9F0A7CC24D41.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • F4D73A32-5C70-48ED-95B6-F7282576E7F9.jpeg
    F4D73A32-5C70-48ED-95B6-F7282576E7F9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 96
  • 4E43ED17-4051-4C5F-9D92-38D8E9924AAA.jpeg
    4E43ED17-4051-4C5F-9D92-38D8E9924AAA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 78

awldune

Sam
User
To the OP, you have to go a bit out of your way to find a chuck that is NOT 1'' x 8 TPI. It is the de facto standard. Which is annoying if your lathe takes 1.25'' x 8 like mine does.

Mike's offer above of a Nova G3 for $100 is a good deal, it is rare to find used chucks for sale.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I’d like $100 for both the adapter and chuck. I’m in Durham. View attachment 206354
Charles, Did you see that Mike (mikeh74) Offered you his chuck for $100? IF you are not interested, I am, but I wanted to give you "first right of refusal! Please let me know as soon as possible, I am headed up his way next week!!!! Hmerkle

MIKE:

At the risk of needing to kick myself bolding at some future date, I will pass in favor of (Hank?)

Thank you for the response and for the offer.

Charles

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS