Wood Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpclifton

New User
Sharp
I have gained access to a few pieces of property. I am going to hunt for some usefull wood however I am an absolute amature at identifying species of wood. I know basic differences between the most common, pines, oaks, cedars, willows etc. I am interested in some reading material or any help that can be offered. Any suggestions or direction?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Contact your local ag extension office in Smithfield.

Johnston County Center: Forest Resources

They can hook you up with some local consulting foresters. For a nominal fee they'll take you on a walk through of the properties and identify tree species and their health. They'll also give guidance about how to manage the property after you tell them what you want to do with it. :icon_cheers

jarrett

New User
Jarrett
I just got this book to help me with identifying trees via leaves, and although I'll have to wait till spring to use it, it's organized like the arbor day web site Bill mentions above. However, it's cheap and you can take it with you when you're hiking through the woods. The book steps you through characteristics of the leaf, directing you to different pages in the book until you end up at the most likely tree.

Tree Finder: A Manual for Identification of Trees by their Leaves
May Theilgaard Watts

Well worth the $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS