Wood ID Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayszs

New User
Zack
I was asked to help a community group dispose of a large tree that fell in a storm a couple weeks back.
I'm not sure what it is other than hard, pretty and heavy.
I milled down a few pieces and was hoping someone might know what it is. 20150523_154802.jpg
20150523_154802.jpg
20150523_143822.jpg

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I think Zach may be right. Seems to be valued for carving...I'd ask for some, if I was closer.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
FYI if it is black gum. It warps like crazy and his highly susceptible to movement. Good thing about it is it is near impossible to split due to the cross-grain and interlocking grain in it. If you try to split a piece, take a beer or two for when you give up and start cursing at.

mayszs

New User
Zack
That explains the movement when I was milling it. I had to add more wedges than I typically do on a log that size.
Guess it's good I cut the slabs thicker than needed. Hopefully I can get 12/4 final thickness out of 16/4 rough cut.

mayszs

New User
Zack
That would fit both black gum and sweet gum characteristics. Did you try hand splitting a few logs? Oozing water and the wedges pop right back at you, straight up in the air. Gnarly, twisted, and interlocking grain? A bear to split is an understatement!

How'd you cut the slab shown in the pics?

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/gum.htm

I have a Stihl MS880 and a chainsaw mill. It's not as efficient as a band saw mill but it's great for areas where you can't fit a portable saw mill or can't tear up the landscape with heavy equipment. Carry saws and mill to the tree and carry out lumber.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
An 880 is a Beast! Still, running a chainsaw mill is a good way to shed some pounds. I concur that your log is a member of the gum family.

Scott

mayszs

New User
Zack
An 880 is a Beast! Still, running a chainsaw mill is a good way to shed some pounds. I concur that your log is a member of the gum family.

Scott

I'll agree with you on both counts. At first I was milling with an old Mcculloch but my thumb was getting tired of pumping the oiler, the joke of a muffler was killing my ears, starting it was more effort than the milling and the vibration was rattling my fillings out.

Sounds like drying this is going to be fun!!
If I manage to get any of it down to 20 or so percent moisture content, without turning into a pretzel, I'll have to bring it out for drying.
Speaking of drying. Do you have any experience American Elm?
I have one that fell in a storm awhile back. The trunk is in the range.of 48" in diameter and is 12'-16' long before the main branch split.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Elm can be a very pretty wood. A 48" log is definitely worth milling.

I actually quarter sawed a 36" gum a few months back. Thus far the boards have stayed flat. It is best if you can add some weight to the top of your snickered stacks while they air dry. We can probably put your gum with mine in the kiln when they are both below 25% if you wish.

Scott

mayszs

New User
Zack
That sounds like a plan. Today I'm going to see if I can go get come more of it milled down and I'll cut and weigh a couple sample pieces to calculate the moisture content. My plan is to cut most if it at 6/4 and 10/4 tiwth the hope I can get 4/4 and 8/4 after shrinkage and twisting but the slabs I cut at 16/4 so I have a feeling they will take some time to

SubGuy

New User
Zach
American Elm is one of my favorites. The cross grain patterns are beautiful.
DSCN0914.JPG

This is how a slab can turn out!

mayszs

New User
Zack
American Elm is one of my favorites. The cross grain patterns are beautiful.
DSCN0914.JPG

This is how a slab can turn out!
That's gorgeous!!!
After seeing that battling with the briar and poison ivy that's surrounding it seems worth it.
Now to convince the wife to let me go buy a 59" saw bar and chain, this is not going to be a fun conversation.

I did relearn an important lesson today, think though how much the board will weight when you have to move it manually......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors