Wood for wet enviroment

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I am looking to build a bench I can put in and take out of the shower when needed. All of the ones I have found online are made from Teak which I know is a great wood for wet environments but it is very expensive. Are there other woods that will hold up well in wet environments like the shower or any sort of finishes that can be added i.e. Spar Urethane to be able to achieve this?

It would be nice if I could build it out of Walnut (since I have that on hand) and then just apply a finish to make it water resistant or proof. Hopefully some of you with a vast amount more knowledgeable than me can chime in on if this is a feasible project or if I should just buy a medical seat.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
As per the wood database for,

Iroko: Rot Resistance: Iroko is very durable, and is resistant to both rot and insect attack; it’s sometimes used as a substitute for Teak.

Walnut: Rot Resistance: Black Walnut is rated as very durable in terms of decay resistance, though it is susceptible to insect attack.

Tony Joyce

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Use Google and search for info about outdoor furniture for wood types and finishing options. Anything that's designed for outdoors should have similar properties to a shower chair. I'd also think that the finish would be very important, so a desk stain/preservative might give you what you want on the walnut you have.

-NCGrimbo

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Use Google and search for info about outdoor furniture for wood types and finishing options. Anything that's designed for outdoors should have similar properties to a shower chair. I'd also think that the finish would be very important, so a desk stain/preservative might give you what you want on the walnut you have.

-NCGrimbo

When you say it like that it seems obvious :BangHead:

Glennbear

Glenn
Before you undertake building a bench you might consider the leg stability on the bottom of the tub/shower enclosure. Most are pitched somewhat towards the drain hence making the bench legs somewhat tricky. The commercial benches I have seen use suction cups or another soft type foot for stability. Another consideration is that wet wood can provide a medium for some uninvited nasties to grow and might be difficult to keep clean. An outdoor wood finish may protect the wood but we do not keep our outdoor furniture to the same cleanliness level as our bathrooms and the finish may not hold up to cleaners.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I have an outside shower that I built with a cypress floor that sits on a bed of pea gravel. It has been outside about two years and it still looks great. No rot and no bugs. I also have no finish on it. It has weathered some with the sun but all in all it is holding up great. So cypress may be a good wood to look at for your project. It's affordable and readily available.

Red

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Iroko is used by a lot of higher end boat builders for structural members in wet areas (galley, head, etc) and it's about 1/4 the price of real teak. Steve Wall lumber has a nice selection. I'm using it, finished with an oil/varnish blend for the floor trim in my boat. I'll tell you about the durability in 15 years... -:))

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Cypress, or thermally modified wood. Thermally modified sets sugars, so wood isn't affected by water. At IWF (2010) we saw canal boards that had been underwater for 13 years, with no damage. Warning, though you will need to drill pilot holes for screws

arcwick08

New User
arcwick08
Locust is an amazingly durable wood for wet environments. The wood draws silica in from the soil as it grows. I've seen 100 year old locust fence posts sunk the the ground that are still holding strong.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
or if I should just buy a medical seat.

Do you have medical issues such as poor balance or stability? Extra support needed?

I am looking to build a bench I can put in and take out of the shower when needed.

1. Walnut already on hand so try it; if it doesn't work out you can regroup for round two. Cypress would work too and it's lightweight for easy moving around.

2. Seal the bottoms of the legs with epoxy to prevent water from wicking up through those little straws.

3. Finish it off with a high quality marine spar varnish like Epifanes.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...id=92&familyName=Epifanes+Gloss+Clear+Varnish

Here's a basic shower seat with a convenient hand lift for moving it; the 19" height is typical for these.

shower_seat.png

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
White oak is used for whiskey barrels, so it is pretty leakproof. I made a white oak wood rack for firewood that has been sitting outside for twenty years in the weather with no cover. It shows weathering but it is still reasonably intact.

Roy G

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Do you have medical issues such as poor balance or stability? Extra support needed?

2. Seal the bottoms of the legs with epoxy to prevent water from wicking up through those little straws.

Here's a basic shower seat with a convenient hand lift for moving it; the 19" height is typical for these.

shower_seat.png

Awesome idea with the epoxy on the end grain of the legs. I like the design you came up with the dimensions seem spot on, I wonder if a round top as opposed to square would be more comfortable? Also I would want to ease all the edges for comfort

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I wonder if a round top as opposed to square would be more comfortable? Also I would want to ease all the edges for comfort

A circular top takes up more space. You'd have to move the legs inwards or increase the diameter of the top.

shower_seat_2.png

Here's a compromise-partially rounded at the front.

shower_seat_3.png

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Walnut heartwood is very rot resistant. Any finish you apply is going to struggle in that environment.

White oak is probably the least expensive option around here. You could also consider Ipe - not as expensive as teak and one of the most rot-resistant woods you can get. But it is very dense/heavy.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I'd use an exterior varnish because I want a UV inhibitor in the finish on walnut. I don't like the fact that I've had it fade to an unattractive grey in direct sunlight. The same thing happens at a slower rate if the sunlight is less direct. A marine varnish might also have the UV block.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I don't think uv will be much of an issue my shower doesn't get any sunlight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Walnut, WO, Ipe, Teak...it all works if done properly....
Besides wood consider:
If using fasteners, only solid stainless.
If using glue, use something waterproof. Titebond 3 is as well as many others.
Also, a coat of Carnauba wax when done will help seal everything up and protect the finish. Your shower shouldn't get hot enough to cause the wax to debond.
Just some thoughts.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Adam
I have seen the same thing on old fence posts. The locust is just amazing stuff. Don't know about a shower but locust is my go to wood for living in the weather. I don't know why some folks pay for kiln dried lumber? Locust is ready to go for outside use off the mill. I wood find a sawyer with a line on locust and figure out a deal to benefit the user and the sawyer.
dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors