Wood filler recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am working on a picture frame out of Rosewood with a Walnut inlay. My miters came out nice and tight but I suffered a little chipping on the face of the miter cut that is now glaring at me like a bad miter joint. I have read about shop made wood fillers using sanding dust of the particular wood species and something??? What is y'alls recipe for a wood filler that will look better than the screw-up it is filling in. The wood will be finished with oil and varnish.
'Preciate the help :-D
Dave:)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Dave----I have used several different methods. One is using clear epoxy without any sawdust. Another is using the dust from the OS and mixing crazt glue with it. I had a guy in the tablemaking class do that and honestly, you could not find the spot he patched. Like many other things, try it on scrap first.

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
CA glue or shellac are the things that are coming to my mind. But I am concerned that they won't absorb the oil finish like the rest of the wood.
Probably the best way to find out is to give them a try on some scrap :eusa_doh: :-D :-D

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
You might want to try Timber Mate. Pretty cool stuff!

Attachments

• Timbermate-Brochure.pdf
    93.8 KB · Views: 218

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That does look like good stuff. But I only need a tiny amount for this one little "spot", that's why I was hoping to make it myself. Plus I have hopes of a real good color match by using the sanding dust.

JRD

New User
Jim
Dave,

I've used plain ole "Tight Bond" mixed with sanding dust into a THICK putty like consistancy. Work the mixture into the gap a bit higher than the surface, then sand when dry.

When you sand it down flush, you expose the ends of the dust particles which in turn wick up the stain or finish being used.

This is for a small repair only because you obviously won't have a grain pattern at that spot, but I've had good luck matching color and finish this way.

Jim

T

toolferone

I do it like Jim does, The ratio should be more wood then glue, this helps the stain absorb in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS