Wood Choice? a large rustic kitchen table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
(note this is cross- posted on WoodCentral)

I have a request to make a 10' long rustic kitchen table. In short, my question is what wood species should I consider, given that oak is out?

More detail:
This will be a daily user table, as well as place to entertain/host (no formal dining room). They want a double pedestal style with a thick top, 2" or more. Finish is to be robust and durable ("no open crevices for food bits in between planks") with "not necessarily a distressed" look, but a rustic country/mountain/washed-out/pickled-stain kind of a look. Chair choice has not been made - but they have ideas. They want a matching/similar bench for the window side of the table. A more complete description of the house is given below.
I have great latitude in style and material choices, knowing what I think the end-goal is. Traditional furniture woods don't really make sense to me here:
- Oak is out (customer)
- Cherry is not my choice for "base color" reasons.
- Maple - tight grain makes it poor choice for the washed out / pickled stain look (I think).
- Walnut - a possibility, but no experience with it. I thought it was also tight grained and therefore may not be good choice for the desired type of finish.
Other species?
- Cypress - The porch is framed and bordered with thick cypress 'beams' but my scratch test on underside of a railing showed it to be fairly easy to dent with my pencil.
- Beech, soft maple, poplar, and maybe one other species are available at local supplier in 8/4 or thicker material.
1. Is there a pine species hard enough to use for daily use table? Southern Yellow Pine is hard enough I think, but the yellow base color would be a challenge.
2. Is poplar dense/hard enough for table application (my sense without looking up numbers is that it is not).
So what species should I consider?

Henry
hwynands@ieee.org

Here's my best description of the house setting:
This is in a home that borders on a 'mountain house' style (open layout, huge back windows, some exposed beams, rustic pine cathedral ceilings in large open 'living room' with large stone fire place, 10' or more ceiling everywhere else). The adjoining kitchen is U shaped with the opening of the U facing the back windows and the table location. Cabinets have flat panel doors (no arched top) in a dark cherry/mahogany finish, and the central island has oak doors with a subtle pickled stain. The panels on the ends of the island are beadboard with the same pickled stain, and two 5-6" diameter turned columns to support the overhang and bar stool eating area. This turned column and bar stool portion of the island faces the table area.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
When I think rustic my brain always goes to pine first. Especially if you can find some good reclaimed stock. Double bonus that it would compliment what they've already got in the ceilings.

Travis

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
If mountain and rustic is the criteria how about chestnut. Its hard and has the look. Reclaimed heart pine would do it also.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have a table built in the 1920's by a carpenter/farmer that is about the size you describe. He used 4/4 poplar for the top and red oak for the aprons and legs. The top was nailed down with cut nails---since they kept it covered with oil cloth it did not matter what wood or how it was fastened. There was no "finish" applied to the poplar top. He did have a millwork company turn a pattern on the oak legs. Plain square edged oak for the aprons.

The poplar has held up well--------the table is still being used.

Jerry

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
In this part of the country, my vote goes to reclaimed old growth pine, often referred to as heart pine. It is durable, beautiful, wonderful to work with, and classic in it's appearance for this application.

As a second choice, the chestnut suggestion is excellent as well. It is also a wonderful wood to work with and would give the appearance that is sought in this project.

Good luck, and be sure to post some photos when you're done.

Matt

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
(note this is cross- posted on WoodCentral)

I have a request to make a 10' long rustic kitchen table. In short, my question is what wood species should I consider, given that oak is out?

More detail:
This will be a daily user table, as well as place to entertain/host (no formal dining room). They want a double pedestal style with a thick top, 2" or more. Finish is to be robust and durable ("no open crevices for food bits in between planks") with "not necessarily a distressed" look, but a rustic country/mountain/washed-out/pickled-stain kind of a look. Chair choice has not been made - but they have ideas. They want a matching/similar bench for the window side of the table. A more complete description of the house is given below.
I have great latitude in style and material choices, knowing what I think the end-goal is. Traditional furniture woods don't really make sense to me here:
- Oak is out (customer)
- Cherry is not my choice for "base color" reasons.
- Maple - tight grain makes it poor choice for the washed out / pickled stain look (I think).
- Walnut - a possibility, but no experience with it. I thought it was also tight grained and therefore may not be good choice for the desired type of finish.
Other species?
- Cypress - The porch is framed and bordered with thick cypress 'beams' but my scratch test on underside of a railing showed it to be fairly easy to dent with my pencil.
- Beech, soft maple, poplar, and maybe one other species are available at local supplier in 8/4 or thicker material.
1. Is there a pine species hard enough to use for daily use table? Southern Yellow Pine is hard enough I think, but the yellow base color would be a challenge.
2. Is poplar dense/hard enough for table application (my sense without looking up numbers is that it is not).
So what species should I consider?

Henry
hwynands@ieee.org

Here's my best description of the house setting:
This is in a home that borders on a 'mountain house' style (open layout, huge back windows, some exposed beams, rustic pine cathedral ceilings in large open 'living room' with large stone fire place, 10' or more ceiling everywhere else). The adjoining kitchen is U shaped with the opening of the U facing the back windows and the table location. Cabinets have flat panel doors (no arched top) in a dark cherry/mahogany finish, and the central island has oak doors with a subtle pickled stain. The panels on the ends of the island are beadboard with the same pickled stain, and two 5-6" diameter turned columns to support the overhang and bar stool eating area. This turned column and bar stool portion of the island faces the table area.

The Hardwood Store of North Carolina would suggest pine or ash.

Glennbear

Glenn
Reclaimed Heart Pine

I agree with Dino and several others that this is a wise choice, as far as your concern about "yellow" coloration, antique heart pine tends to run more orange or red. In some circles it is known as pumpkin pine. It is dense but fairly easy to work. You just have to use caution when choosing sanding grits because of the difference between early and late growth rings. Here is a history of heart pine from a supplier here in VA. If you dig around on this site more info is available :wsmile:
http://www.appalachianwoods.com/Heart-Pine-History.htm

PS - I may be a tad prejudiced since my wood rack currently contains several hundred BF of recycled heart pine bleacher boards. :gar-La;

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I agree with Dino and several others that this is a wise choice, as far as your concern about "yellow" coloration, antique heart pine tends to run more orange or red. In some circles it is known as pumpkin pine. It is dense but fairly easy to work. You just have to use caution when choosing sanding grits because of the difference between early and late growth rings. Here is a history of heart pine from a supplier here in VA. If you dig around on this site more info is available :wsmile:
http://www.appalachianwoods.com/Heart-Pine-History.htm

PS - I may be a tad prejudiced since my wood rack currently contains several hundred BF of recycled heart pine bleacher boards. :gar-La;

Excellent link which contains a lot of useful info within the site. WOW, the pics showing their heart pine lumber really catch the unique qualities of this wood. Interesting that they offer several grades so a little mix and match could be interesting. Maybe a perfect fit for Henry's project that's durable, hard, and well suited to the current style of his client's home. "Call for pricing" is a bit scary, but I don't think it'll phase the customer.

Just curious. Have some of you folks purchased this wood from this supplier or others? Typical $/bf for 4/4 through 10/4? :dontknow: If you bought it "metal free" have you been able to get one of our local sawyers to resaw it for you? :eusa_naug

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I would also vote for heart pine.​

I was able to do the bread board ends of this table from heart pine and wish that I would have used heart pine for the rest (the bread board ends were salvaged from a door frame at work). The floor is also heart pine.​

Zach​

DSC_0016.JPG

View image in gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS