Wixey DRO on Delta 22-580

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I ordered the Wixey planer digital readout in November, read the install instructs, and placed it on the shelf for later. Today was later. Since cutting my machine was required, I wanted plenty of uninterrupted time, and wifey was away looking after feral cats.

If you have a 22-580 and the instructions scare you, let me know, I've been there, done that, and have a T-shirt that says I have a Wixey DRO on my planer. Wixey says my Whiteside brass gauge is 0.505 instead of 1/2", so I'm going to return it for one that works. (The brass, not the Wixey.) This explains a lot of my problems, that pesky 0.005 oversize on a Whiteside gauge. Tsk. Tsk.

Incidentally, the planer DRO and Woodcraft (on sale) digital caliper agreed within 0.000. That's right, they both read the exact same thing on a piece of scrap cypress.

Incidentally, no tangents or other trig functions needed to install. Thought you'd like to know.

Jim

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I [STRIKE]need[/STRIKE]want that for my Yorkcraft 20". Bernard, any luck for your 24?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, that is awesome!! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

I have a Delta 22-580 and have thought about a DRO. I'll be interested to see what you think after using it for a while.

Hey, where's the pics?? :lol: :lol:

Chuck

chris99z71

New User
Chris
worth.gif

Suuuuuuuuure you have a DRO on your planer...:roll:

:rolf:

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I suffered though the snow, sleet, freezing rain and everything else the Postal People do to get this pic as proof.

Still snowing to beat the band here in southern Granville County.

Attachments

• DCP_0045.jpg
    DCP_0045.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 212

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I suffered though the snow, sleet, freezing rain and everything else the Postal People do to get this pic as proof.

Still snowing to beat the band here in southern Granville County.

Ok, I guess that I'll have to cease with giving you grief then...

That looks like a pretty sweet setup - thanks for sharing!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Drat, I had my hand on the trigger of a tangential comment :eusa_sile
And I thought engineers were self absorbed with precision. Apparently surveyors demand perfection. That is impressive Jim. :icon_thum

I've found the depth lock on the 22-580 to be a bit flaky. Guess you won't be needing that anymore with perfect repeatability :eusa_clap

Roger

chris99z71

New User
Chris
i'm to lazy to google it, i got a 22-580 too, so whats a wixey DRO?

Wixey = brand
DRO = digital read-out
It's like a digital caliper to measure the thickness that your planer is cutting to and it's mounted right to the planer. Very sweet add-on.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Okay, after watching my Frank Krausz wideo about mortise and tenon joints, I decided to modify my router jig to add the fence Frank had. Since I had used a scrap piece of cypress to calibrate the install of the Wixey, I knew that board was 0.765" thick. I screwed this board to the fence on the PC 7529. It came from a larger 13/16" piece of cypress, so I set the Wixey to 0.775 and shoved a another piece of cypress through the planer. I cut two snippets off to serve as spacers, and attached them to the side of the jig. I then screwed the remaining piece to the spacers, waxed everything, and woila, waxy smooth side fence to keep the router stable when cutting mortises. A touch of sanding and some wax against the plywood sides and it glides smoothly. There's no way I could have done this the first time with the wimpy analog scale on the planer. I would have had to sneak up, not my favorite technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS