Wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL Spicer

New User
Al
All,
I have a quick question for some of you electricians. I need to run a new electrical line for a light indoors. I already have some UFB (underground) 12-2 on hand, is there any reason other than cost I can’t use it instead of NMB (Non-Metallic) wire?

Thanks,
Al

Clifton

New User
Cliff
So long as your not going to call the local inspector to make sure its up to code, no :p Seriously though, UFB is not rated for indoor use. Im pretty sure the reason for this is due to the fact that it has a thinner outer covering and it lacks an insulator on the ground wire. Therefore it is more susceptible to nicks, couple that with an exposed ground and you have a recipe for disaster. Like i said you can "do anything", but should you?

FlyingRon

Ron
Sorry, but that is incorrect. UF is rated for INDOOR use pretty much everywhere NM is permitted. NM cable doesn't typically have separate insulation on the ground wire either.

Here's the LAW in North Carolina (2014 National Electrical Code):
340.10 Uses Permitted
Type UF cable shall be permitted as follows:
(1) For use underground, including direct burial in the earth.
For underground requirements, see 300.5.
(2) As single-conductor cables. Where installed as
singleconductor
cables, all conductors of the feeder grounded
conductor or branch circuit, including
the grounded
conductor and equipment grounding conductor, if any,shall be installed in accordance with 300.3 .
(3) For wiring in wet, dry, or corrosive locations under therecognized wiring methods of this Code .
(4) Installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable. Where so installed,the installation and conductor requirements shall complywith Parts II and III of Article 334 and shall be of themulticonductor type.If Type UF cable is installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable, theinstallation and construction requirements of Article 334 forType NM cable apply, including the ampacity adjustment in 334.80.
(5) For solar photovoltaic systems in accordance with 690.31 .
(6) As single-conductor cables as the nonheating leads forheating cables as provided in 424.43 .
(7) Supported by cable trays. Type UF cable supported bycable trays shall be of the multiconductor type.

Article 334 covers NM cable.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Directly from your BORG ---> http://m.homedepot.com/p/Cerrowire-...gclid=CMTfv-b-kM0CFZaEaQodWqIMIQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

The 100 ft. Gray 12/2 Underground Feeder (UF) Wire features a jacket that offers resistance to sunlight and can be used at a maximum temperature of 90ËšC. This wire can be used for direct burial. This wire is UL listed.

Use underground as a feeder or branch circuit cable where provided with over-current protection as specified by the NEC
May be installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable as specified in NEC section 340.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS