Wiping off the layer of dust...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have been preoccupied.....fishing. The specks have (finally) left the creeks and have moved to the sound. The flounder are still about three weeks away. So no more excuses or distractions.

morris2.jpg

2nd Morris chair....

I used the Millers Falls eggbeater to make the drawbore holes. Worked like a charm. But it did have more of a learning curve than I expected.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used the Millers Falls eggbeater to make the drawbore holes. Worked like a charm. But it did have more of a learning curve than I expected.

Chris,
Tell us a little more about "The learning curve?"

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I made good progress today. All drawbored together and top rails cut.
morris3.jpg

Tell us a little more about "The learning curve?"

I assumed the hand drill was similar to a power drill. But it takes a deft touch to use it accurately. Too much pressure and it won't cut...too little and it won't cut. Then try to keep it on axis. I wallowed out the first couple of holes I drilled getting off 90. It seems like it's easy to shift pressure to one side even after the bit had engaged deep enough that I didn't think it would be an issue. A really sharp bit is a necessity...you can't get by with a dull one.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Thats a good tip. I use this....

square.jpg

Stand it up and it gives good reference. But my issue has been the coordination required to start and keep that eggbeater on axis....

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
But my issue has been the coordination required to start and keep that eggbeater on axis....
I think that is why the ring works better... (the keeping part) I think a square works well for the starting part...

Now someone I knew gave me the suggestion to take a block and drill a hole through it on the drill press (square to the faces) and slip it on the bit and keep it square to the piece he was drilling, but that never seemed to help me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS