WIP-curly maple/walnut dresser

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Here are some WIP photos of a dresser I've been slaving over for the past few (6) months. This is the most hand tool work I've ever put in to a project. Almost all of the joints are hand cut (DT, M/T, rabbets, dados). All the glued up panels, drawer sides and drawer bottoms were flattened by hand (jack, jointer, smoother planes). Still lots to go though, but here's a brief run-down of the process so far...

The carcase is a large dovetailed box (half-blinds) -show faces are walnut and the non-show are poplar. This is a view from the top.
DSC02427.JPG

Here's an action photo my daughter took of me chopping half-blind DTs.
DSC024091.JPG

The stopped dados for the internal frame were chiseled out and finished w/ a router plane. Paul Sellers has a nice video on this. I averaged about 20min a dado and typically got them within about 1/64" of the 3/4" desired width.
DSC02470.JPG

I used haunched M/T for the internal frame.
DSC02471.JPG

DSC02472.JPG

The drawers are curly maple fronts (from Chris' lumber run) and poplar sides.
DSC02986.JPG

I built a cheap version of the moxon vise (not shown) to cut the DT in the drawer parts. Here's one of the better DTs I cut.
DSC02983.JPG

I had some cupping problems w/ the poplar I resawed for the drawer sides so they finished thin ~3/8". Rather than groove the thin sides to house the poplar bottoms, I made drawer slips and glued these to the drawer sides.
DSC02985.JPG

The larger drawers also have a middle divider.
DSC02979.JPG

I still have to make the top panel (walnut), the base, and the back (ship-lapped poplar), but w/ the final drawer fitted and bottom slid into place, the end is finally in sight. Thanks for looking!

Sam

eyekode

New User
Salem
Very nice! Looks like quality all the way through. I live walnut and maple together. I like Sam Maloof style finish on the walnut and the blondest of shellacs on the maple. How do you plan on finishing it?
Salem

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Very nice! Looks like quality all the way through. I live walnut and maple together. I like Sam Maloof style finish on the walnut and the blondest of shellacs on the maple. How do you plan on finishing it?
Salem

I hear you. Blonde shellac for the maple fronts definitely. For the walnut, I'll probably go with garnet/amber shellac followed by a wipe-on varnish, but I really like the ease and look of the oil/varnish mix on walnut also.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
It will look beautiful when finished. I am going to be building a dresser of walnut soon. I might have to rethink my plans after seeing this.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks great. I also like the ease and look of a wiped on Varnish Oil such as Tried and True on Walnut or about any other mix of BLO, Varnish and MS. Although I tend to prefer the look I get with the Tried and True brand, really brings out the multiple hues or color in the Walnut.

Great piece, I love the contrast of Walnut and Maple.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Looking spiffy, Sam. The contrast between the carcase and the drawers is eye catching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS