Winterizing the Pressure Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
It's getting time to think about winterizing your pressure washer. First, I would change the oil. Consider using a synthetic oil for easier starts. (I use Wal-Mart's brand.) Run some pump saver through the pump. FYI, pump saver is a 50 / 50 mix of RV antifreeze and mineral oil. You can mix your own using RV antifreeze (which many places have on sale right now for about $3.99 a gallon) and mineral oil from Wal-Mart (paid $1.49 a pint recently.) Drain tank and carb are DRY. Ethanol fuels are **** on small engine carbs. If you can't drain it, consider some of the blue Stabil, or Star On. Next spring oil will already have been changed, so you only need to add fresh fuel and fire her up.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Good advice! :icon_thum It's also time to get the leaf machine ready for duty!! I love my DR leaf machine!! :wsmile:

thrt15nc

Tom
User
I need to do that to mine also. Wait. I don't own one. I'll remind my neighbor to do his. :gar-La;

Reggie, I drool over the DR leaf machines. Which one do you have?

Tom

Glennbear

Glenn
What is RV antifreeze? How is it different from "regular" antifreeze? :help:

RV antifreeze is used in the potable water systems in RVs hence has a non toxic base. It is also thinner than automotive antifreeze. :wsmile:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I need to do that to mine also. Wait. I don't own one. I'll remind my neighbor to do his. :gar-La;

Reggie, I drool over the DR leaf machines. Which one do you have?

Tom

I have the Pro 900 series. Only mistake I made with this machine is not buying it 10 years earlier!! :icon_thumIt's simply the best! On their website you might find a demo unit. That's what I did. Couldn't tell it'd ever been used and came with a new warranty. DR (Done Right) is good people! :wsmile:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
RV antifreeze is used in the potable water systems in RVs hence has a non toxic base. It is also thinner than automotive antifreeze. :wsmile:

For a power washer does it really matter which is used? Potability doesn't seem to be an issue here. I don't have a power washer, but I'm just curious. :icon_scra

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
For a power washer does it really matter which is used? Potability doesn't seem to be an issue here. I don't have a power washer, but I'm just curious. :icon_scra
It will when you crank it up again. The automotive AF will have to be purged & usually ends up as a soils contaminant.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm curious what pump saver is saving the pump from in the winter?
Residual moisture in the pump cylinders could freeze & cause distortion on the cylinders, it also helps keep the cylinders lubricated, as many pumps use brass cylinders, ceramic valves, and neoprene seals. Dried seals tend to deteriorate faster.

Glennbear

Glenn
It will when you crank it up again. The automotive AF will have to be purged & usually ends up as a soils contaminant.

Just to add MYTCW, auto antifreeze is also toxic and apparently our four legged friends are attracted to it. :confused_

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Residual moisture in the pump cylinders could freeze & cause distortion on the cylinders, it also helps keep the cylinders lubricated, as many pumps use brass cylinders, ceramic valves, and neoprene seals. Dried seals tend to deteriorate faster.

Ah, I see. So if it will be in a garage that does not freeze, I don't need to worry about the water freezing...so I can leave water in the pump? And if I leave water in the pump, I don't need to worry about seals drying out? This just got a lot easier :>

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ah, I see. So if it will be in a garage that does not freeze, I don't need to worry about the water freezing...so I can leave water in the pump? And if I leave water in the pump, I don't need to worry about seals drying out? This just got a lot easier :>

As long as you don't do like my dad, who would only put 1 gallon of antifreeze in his tractor(s) and say. "It'll be all right" until we had a HARD FREEZE and then he'd tell me to run drain them "right quick" - or crank them up & let them run.
Diesels don't like cold weather. I don't either, when I gotta get my hands wet. :wmad:
BTW, if you're keeping it in a heated garage all winter, be sure to drain the gas to reduce the fire risk. Most small engines use a vented cap and will release flammable vapors that could be explosive over time.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
BTW, if you're keeping it in a heated garage all winter, be sure to drain the gas to reduce the fire risk. Most small engines use a vented cap and will release flammable vapors that could be explosive over time.

Oh, I don't even need to do that. My washer runs on non-toxic, non-flammable, eco-friendly 100% recycled electrons!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Interesting discussion with a spinoff re: toxicity of "antifreeze" and what are the differences.

RV antifreeze contains propylene glycol (Pg) which is non-toxic and considered safe for human and animal consumption, but it's pretty toxic to cats. Pg is FDA approved for use use in food products, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics.

Automotive antifreeze is marginally cheaper, but it is ethylene glycol (Eg). Highly toxic to humans and animals, but the toxicity is significantly reduced by dilution with water and soil degradation occurs in 10-30 days so it doesn't hang around long in the environment (compare that to the phosphate based fertilizers that we routinely use in our lawns and gardens). Which is worse?

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=12&po=0

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethylene-propylene-glycol-d_904.html

It's worth keeping the word "toxicity" in a relative perspective IMHO as a pharmaceutical chemist. :eusa_thin My apologies for hijacking this thread, but I don't believe in political correctness whatever the forum.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Oh, I don't even need to do that. My washer runs on non-toxic, non-flammable, eco-friendly 100% recycled electrons!
I'm not sure how your electrons were generated, but every method of generating electricity (hydro, thermal, coal, nuclear, solar, wind, gas turbines, etc) produces pollution. Some in the actual generation, and others in the manufacturing of generating system, and most in both.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'm not sure how your electrons were generated, but every method of generating electricity (hydro, thermal, coal, nuclear, solar, wind, gas turbines, etc) produces pollution. Some in the actual generation, and others in the manufacturing of generating system, and most in both.

You are correct and I never claimed it didn't.

I'll just point out that there are few things more polluting than small gas engines of the type used in lawn equipment. My electric washer puts them to shame. I only wish my lawn was conducive to an electric mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS