Wine Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
We enjoy a glass of wine or two with dinner. The wife wanted to get rid of the old, ugly wine rack, so I decided to build one in the wall (behind the wall is the stairs to my workshop/basement). When I pulled out the sawzall to cut the studs, she left the room!

Of course nothing goes smoothly when attempting something like this. The wiring for the doorbell was on one of the studs so I had to reroute it and there wasn't much slack in the wire, but it worked out.

A friend told me that wine should lay on it's side so the cork doesn't dry out. I told him the wine wasn't around long enough for the cork to dry! :gar-La; Pretty cheap to build...2x6's, some beadboard, and trim.

I'm thinking of carving new trim if I can find a decent grapevine pattern.

wine_rack11.JPG

wine_rack2.JPG

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Very nice.

You only have to worry about natural cork stoppers drying out. Many wine makers these days use synthetic cork stoppers that don't dry out.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Very nice.

You only have to worry about natural cork stoppers drying out. Many wine makers these days use synthetic cork stoppers that don't dry out.

True. I've even found a few good ones with screw tops...but I'm not much of a wine connaisseur either, I just know what I like.

M

McRabbet

If you do decide to get into better quality wines, many if not most will have cork stoppers and you'll need to store them on their sides if they are being held for proper aging. I store my wines in a metal bakers rack that has room for about 18-20 bottles in its base -- I have 4 bottles that have been carefully rotated for five years. I recommend three styles of storage for wines: Ready to drink = vertical or refrigerated at about 55* (whites); Horizontal in individual bins; or in horizontal in "X"-shaped bins. I've attached a few pictures of some horizontal bins I've made in some commissioned projects.

The first is in the base of a storage cabinet for a suite of built-in dining room furniture. This cabinet was combined with a second one (shelves only) and doors were installed to enclose them .

These are "X-bins" and individual storage racks in a 30-case wine cellar I built in 2007 for a client -- it was featured in the NCWW Calendar the following year.

More pictures in my Gallery in the Wine Cellar and Dinig Room Project Albums.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Holy cow! Some real connoisseurs. How do you resist the temptation to turn the bottles for 5 YEARS?

M

McRabbet

It is not easy when I purchased them in southern France at the individual vineyards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS