Window pane replacement - single pane that does not appear to be glazed in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
So I am tasked with replacing a window pane. This is single pane glass in an late 50's or early 60's vintage home.

When I assumed that the window was glazed in place - I was wrong! I have shaved away the material (on both inside and outside) holding the glass in place, and it is WOOD on both sides. My thought is that the window construction involved placing the pane in place and then applying wood strips in place on the outside. It has been painted over a few times and so it is not really possible to tell whether this would be on the inside of outside (I can thin k of no good reason to do this from the inside).

SO has anyone worked on a window like this? Am i correct in working to remove 1/4" - 3/8" of wood from the outside and then replacing the pane?

Help?!

Henry

shaf2376

New User
Jeff
I used to repair windows many years ago and have done several since. If it is wood on both sides the trim was applied to the interior of the window only glazing(putty) is applied to the exterior of a sash.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Agree trim is on inside,glazing exterior. use a thin but stiff putty knife and explore gently and you should be able to find seams on trim

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
SO mission accomplished - I decided to address from the outside. Clearly I made the wrong choice, but I was committed. In essence I cut away the wood with a utility knife, then chisel; this took some time but it was clean cut. Replaced the pane, added some pre-painted wood molding, a bit of caulk to seal the seam, and tada.... well almost. I put a minute crack in the edge where I believe a pneumatic brad clipped the glass. So now I need to repeat the process this morning with a new pane and some more molding. Ah well, I will be faster this time.

Henry

cpw

New User
Charles
Henry,

Are you saying that the original moldings were not a separate pieces of wood - that they were part of the muntins?

Charles

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Not really sure what you are asking - but this was a single pane for the entire window - no muntins.
Since I could not detect separate moldings on either inside or outside (well painted etc), I addressed from the outside. Several detectable gaps indicated the moldings were applied on the outside, but I am not convinced they were (it just looked that way).

So my approach was to cut away parts of the frame from the outside, replaced the pane, applied moldings and some caulk - and done. Paint will be completed when it warms up.

Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors