Wilm. CL RAS deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Dang... All these RAS deals are starting to go to my head. I've got a great sliding dual bevel mitersaw and a great TS/router table/fence setup. Can someone please assure me that I'm covered and that I can igore these RAS posts????

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
With a tablesaw and a SCMS you can already do about anything that an RAS can do.

Plus you need the space in the shop for a storage cabinet. :gar-Bi

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Now that the RAS is out of your head......drum sander, drum sander......

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Sully

New User
jay
dados are so much easier on the RAS than the tablesaw. and not possible with a SCMS. that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

J - enabler in training

PS: You need a drum sander too!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
dados are so much easier on the RAS than the tablesaw. and not possible with a Sliding Compund Miter Saw. that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

J - enabler in training

PS: You need a drum sander too!

+1 on the dado's being easier on a RAS! If that thing was just a little closer to me,:icon_scra I'd be on it in a heartbeat. My buddy's looking for a replacement for his old Ryobie.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Can anyone venture a guess as to what model this is? I emailed but haven't gotten a reply yet so not even sure if it's still available. Granted I'm not sure it matters since I'm leaving tomorrow for a road trip for the baby's christening and won't be back until next week. :eusa_doh:

Oh well, I'm sure there will be others and I'm in no rush since I haven't even really made room for the last couple of things I bought yet.:argue:

Brian.

M

McRabbet

I'd like to comment on those that believe that cutting dados on an RAS is easier than on a table saw. I disagree -- you are limited to the length of the RAS travel and there is no way to protect against tearout in the stock. I use a Zero Clearance Insert in my table saw and I can cut dados of any length and to an exact depth every time. I even cut stopped dados and finish the cut with either chisels or with a small plunge router equipped with a small radius bit. Cutting short through dados is fine on an RAS, but I often cut them longer than 18 inches.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I'd like to comment on those that believe that cutting dados on an RAS is easier than on a table saw. I disagree -- you are limited to the length of the RAS travel and there is no way to protect against tearout in the stock. I use a Zero Clearance Insert in my table saw and I can cut dados of any length and to an exact depth every time. I even cut stopped dados and finish the cut with either chisels or with a small plunge router equipped with a small radius bit. Cutting short through dados is fine on an RAS, but I often cut them longer than 18 inches.

Yeah, I've never really undersood this argument either.... But, I've never tried them on a RAS so I thought maybe I was missing something.

Sully

New User
jay
There is a limitation to the width of dados that is *twice* the stroke length of the RAS. To minimize tearout you have a sacrificial hardboard on top that does as good if not better a job than a ZCTP or sled.

$0.02
J

James Davis

New User
James Davis
+1 on the dado's being easier on a RAS! If that thing was just a little closer to me,:icon_scra I'd be on it in a heartbeat. My buddy's looking for a replacement for his old Ryobie.

Reggie,
I was in a pawn shop in Winston-Salem on Monday and they had a good looking Delta RAS there. It is on Old Walkertown road near the airport. That is about all I know since this was the first time I had been there. There is a country cooking restaurant in the same building that my daughter took us to for lunch and I just had to hit the pawn shop before I left. The RAS was in great shape and I am sure they would be willing to deal seeing as how they had a shop full of tools of all kinds.

Oh yeah, they also had a sign stating that they were taking 20% off all tools.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS