Will freezing ruin Arm R Seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
I've had some arm r seal in the shop for a while, which is just an outbuilding, so I'm certain it has frozen before. It says on the can to not allow it to freeze. I'm planning on using it on a project here soon.

Will freezing temperatures ruin Arm R Seal?

Will freezing temperatures compromise the strength of Titebond I, II, or III?

Thanks

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
If it has frozen I would toss it. Maybe find a niche in the house you can store finish's through the cold months or rig up an old cooler with a light bulb in it forthose cold nights. The same with all glues you have

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Your rechargeable batteries need to be kept from freezing too. My shop is heated and set to about 40 when I'm not in there during the cold months to keep my finishes, glue, batteries, and water lines from freezing.

Since it's above freezing during the day here and only goes below freezing for a few hours during the night, just keeping these items in a sealed insulated container like an old unused refrigerator or ice chest should delay the below freezing temperatures inside to avoid problems. With good insulation, the average temperature inside should stay well above freezing since the inside temperature would be more of an average of the low and high temperatures outside the insulated container. You would then only need to do something else if the temperatures will be below freezing for longer periods. I can't remember days here where it stayed below freezing for a whole day and night. In more Northern climates the rules would be different.

Charley

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'd try the Arm-R-Seal on some scrap wood applied as the manufacturer recommends and see what happens. Stir it well.

I'm a chemist; it's oil based and oil doesn't freeze so I don't understand the "keep from freezing" warning.

Last edited:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I spent a lot of years working in aircraft corrosion control. In many (most) locations, the paints and chemicals were stored in outside metal sheds or cabinets without climate control, and were subjected to freezing as well as +100 degree temps. We also had to keep check on shelf life. As with any government operation, there were set procedures for evaluating paints/chemicals that were either past shelf-life or subjected to temp extremes.

For paints, the procedure was:

1. Open container and thoroughly stir the contents. If it blended well (in the case of pigmented paints that would normally separate in storage) and was free of lumps, it passed test one. If not it was disposed of.

2. Apply the coating to a clean dry surface. If it separated, or would not go evenly, it failed.

3. Let cure. If it dried within the normal drying time, and had the gloss/flatness and hiding characteristic is was supposed to, it passed, and we could use it. If it didn't cure, or was sticky or soft, it was disposed of.

For shelf life purposes, we were allowed to extend the shelf life 50% of the original for two times maximum.

We used this method on lacquers, enamels, polyurethanes and epoxy coatings. I have subsequently used it also for varnishes and enamels that have skinned over, being careful not to get the skin pieces in the paint, or straining it afterwards, all with good results. (This includes Behlens Rock Hard Table Top finish, which is notorious for skinning over within hours of opening the can).

We didn't use latex paint in my work there, but I have used a lot of it since. With latex, if it mixes up well, I use it, and have used some up to ten years old. I have touched up repairs on both the interior and exterior of my house over five years after the original painting, using paint out of the original containers, with excellent color and gloss match.

The one coating that in my experience does survive extended storage much past the shelf life is shellac in solution.

Key is to try some on a test piece. If it covers well, flows out, and dries like it's supposed to, it will be fine.

jmtcw

Go

PS. As previously stated, an old refrigerator or freezer makes an excellent storage container for coatings in this climate, to help mitigate the temperature swings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS