Why does a tack hammer have a split end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffhfd

New User
Jeff
I just recently bought a tack hammer and the first thing the wife asked was, (why is one end split)well after stuttering for a couple minutes i told her the reason it was split (in my opinion and the only answer i could come up with real fast) was to hold a small tack while you nailed it, her next question was (well if the hammer is holding the tack what do you use to hammer the tack?) I said oh that reminds me i need 2 of these i better run back and get another LOL. Ok i knew something wasnt right about the split so i did some research, To my amazement i found out why it is split, most tack hammers have a magnetic end to hold a tack or to pick up a tack (this i knew but had no idea the split was the reason) the split on one end can enable the magnet to have both poles north and south close together for a more powerful holding capacity and also keep the opposite end (nailing end) to be neautral, the split has many uses today and has evolved somewhat in different designs for different types of work, if anyone would like to research this it is very interesting, a patent was filed by Authur R Robertson on May 3, 1856 patent #352070 it was issued on Nov 2, 1886 for magnetic tack hammer, hope someone finds this as interesting as i did :gar-Bi

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think the split end is magnetized to hold the tack for the first strike, and then you turn it around and use the solid face to finish driving the tack.

Dave:)

DWSmith

New User
David
I think the split end is magnetized to hold the tack for the first strike, and then you turn it around and use the solid face to finish driving the tack.

Dave:)

We have a winner!!!!!:rotflm:

The old time upholsterers would dip the magnetized end into a 5 gallon sized barrel of blued tacks, pull out a bunch, place them in their mouth and proceed to tack away. Each tack was moved one at a time so the head was on the tip of the tongue and the magnetized end was brought to the lips. When the tack moved to the magnet, a soft click was heard then the tack was driven into the frame. The other end was used when the tack wasn't fully seated. This process was repeated until the section was finished. Not as fast as a pneumatic staple gun, but far better holding power.

Even though the tacks were blued, once in the mouth, the saliva started the tack to rust which held it in the wooden frame tightly.

Once the task was ended, the remaining tacks were spit out into another barrel where they rusted into oblivion. This is now a lost art! I learned how to "spit tacks" at the age of 18 and still have my Dads original tack hammer from the 30's here at the house. Pneumatic staple guns have taken a lot of the old time craftsmanship out of the upholstery business.

Jeffhfd

New User
Jeff
Dave it is used for first strike probably more than anything else, but like mine most peoples first stike is not necessarily where were aiming to hit,:rolf: especially if the project is very small, im making birdhouses that have very detailed trim around windows, doors etc.. and have to predrill holes for brass brads, normally if i want to hit the right spot i have to use needlenose pliers to hold it, but yea your right on what the magnet end was origanally intended for:icon_thum. I have seen a tack hammer that my Grandfather had with one side of the split broken off, he ground it down to a sharp edge and used it like a chisel on that end, but at the time i was to young to even know what it origanally was, kinda neat thinking back on such a simple tool and what its purpose is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS