Why Did I Ask For A Wixey Angle Gauge For Fathers Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I did ask and I did receive. I went to the shop and checked all my set-ups, table saw blade angles, jointer fence, tablesaw fence, CMS set-ups, bandsaw setups, and more. Every one that I had set up using my conventional squares and measuring devices were dead-on - NOT! Thats why I asked for one. The set ups were very close but not precise. The only thing I want to check and couldn't (unless someone can tell me a way that I couldn't figure out) is on the CMS. Blade to fence angle, It appears that the Wixey won't work in the horizontal mode..

George

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Nice stealth gloat, George! :eusa_danc

I guess a friendly, You Suck!! is in order. :lol: :lol:

Chuck

P.S...I like my Wixey too. :-D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
George, I got one too :eusa_danc :eusa_danc (finally) and I have run into the same problem as you. I was just a little off on everything :eusa_doh: The only idea I have for checking the CMS blade to fence is to use the Wixey gage to check a square for squareness and then use it to check the saw. I don't think it will work in that orientation.

Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have one too, but have the oposite problem. When I set table saw blade at 90, with eng. square and check with a dial indicator jig that it is 90, Wixey says its 89.8/ 90.2. That means my Wixey is off by 0.22%. So much for accuracy! Oh yeah, I have a tip using Wixey to set miter gauge that was published a couple issues back in Woodsmith.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The Wixey is supposed to be accurate to .1°± and it reads my machinists square at 89.9°...who do you trust :eusa_thin :eusa_thin
Bruce, for us folks who don't get Woodsmith, please expound on your tip for setting a miter gauge. That also might work with a CMS fence/blade angle.
Thanks
Dave:)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Lay the miter gauge on your table saw, face down to the table with bar hanging down over the table edge. Put the Wixey on the table next to the miter gauge, zero it, then stick to one side of the miter bar, read it and/or adjust the miter gauge to what ever setting you want.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Congrats on getting the REAL Thing. Having suggested I may want one
its was obtained from Peachtree Woodworking . However its NOT a Wixey
- its a Dixie. http://www.ptreeusa.com/dixie_angle_gauge.htm.
And is the same price as a Wixey and works the same - I think !!
With the same inaccuracy on my table saw as mentioned earlier.
As with most other things today its made in China.
Wixey - Dixie = ??? rip off ??

gator

George
Corporate Member
Actually it appears that the Dixie has more features than the Wixey. Good find!!

George

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I believe the tip in Woodsmith was to hold the miter gauge vertically, say suspend it from a nail on a wall. As for the accuracy of the Wixey, mine is to .1 degrees as advertised. I have verified my squares are accurate, and the Wixey validates it as well. It is a neat tool.

Oh, congrats on the acquisition Gator!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Primarily the HOLD function and a carrying case. I'm not sure what the ATB function does so I don't know about that.

George

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks - I did't even notice the carrying case in the box.
It also has Three magnets instead of two, if that's an improvement , its hard to say as I can't measrue the strength of the magnets.
There are two modes of operation : Relative and ABS (Alternate Bevel Setting). Quoting the instructions :
Relative mode is used to check the angle difference between one surface and another. This is most commonly used to check for and adjust to 90 degrees.
ABS mode is used to set the desired angle from a calibrated 90 or 0 degree. Per the pictures in the instruction you would set the 0 degree reference first , then attach to your saw blade at 90 degrees, then tilt the blade to the desired angle ie: 22.5 degrees.
Whereas using the relative mode and depending on a left or right tilt blade where you attach the angle guage - after setting the 90 degree angle
and tilting the blade to a reading of 67.5 degrees . Its necessary to subtract the 67.5 from 90 to arrive at the desired angle of 22.5.
Hope this all makes sense.
Funny, they don't mention what the hold button is used for and why.

DavidF

New User
David
I assume the hold button is to store the reading so that you can remove it from maybe an akward place to read and and then look at what it says.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
I assume the hold button is to store the reading so that you can remove it from maybe an akward place to read and and then look at what it says.
I think Davidf is probably correct, it does hold the last reading.
I guess its too obvious that's why it wasn't written up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS