Why are threads closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sometime in the past it was decided to automatically close all threads after 30 days with no activity.

I think it it was an effort to keep the content fresh.

I never agreed with the idea but had no say in the matter. Perhaps it is time for the Board of Directors to review that policy.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
IIRC, the OP may request a thread be re opened. It's just a matter of asking. I don't know of anyone that was denied this right unless the thread was closed by a moderator for reasons of non compliance with site rules. Given the volume of threads here it probably eats up a lot of server rent to have threads open longer than that. You Administrators wanna weigh in on this?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
There are pros and cons to closing threads. As you mentioned, it can make it difficult to contribute something to an existing discussion. On the plus side, it also avoids a post from five years ago resurfacing. For example, someone might ask a question on why his bandsaw is not tracking properly, with a picture of the wavy resawn board. It doesn't do a lot of good to answer that question 6 years later. Lumber sales, social gatherings, an article in a woodworking magazine, a lot of content ages very quickly.

Some content is timeless of course. Being able to add to existing threads makes them more valuable, prevents duplication, and makes it easier to search/ find.

I'd like to see a system where users could re-open threads themselves. That way, you are at least aware you're reviving an old discussion and don't accidentally necropost. It eliminates the need to have to ask a moderator for help.

Closing threads does have some anti-spam benefits too, but NCWW doesn't have a lot of problems in this area, fortunately.

Brogan

New User
I just noticed the Administrative link next to the thread tools, so it appears I can reopen it myself.

Personally though, I would get rid of the auto closing - it defeats the point of a forum.

Database space is a non issue and in fact, it requires more data to open a new thread than post in an existing one.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I dislike zombie threads and agree in principle with the policy. As Paul notes though, OPs can reopen threads. Few people know this I would guess though. Maybe the time limit should be lengthened though to 90 days? This would be especially good for work in progress threads.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Zombie posts stink!

No objection to an OP opening their own posts for relevant updates but random posts by newbie members are not right. It’s very disconcerting to see fresh posts that appear to be from deceased members. Very common in some other forums I used to frequent.

toolman

New User
Chad
I've never participated in a forum which routinely closes threads, and I have used many of them.
Why is it done on this site?

I wanted to post an update here -- https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64078 -- but it's closed :confused:

It's very off-putting to contributing to the site.

Oh well, guess I won't bother.

I just open the thread for you.. As for as the thread auto closing, it has been that way from the beginning I believe.

ehpoole

Ethan
The main reason threads close after an extended period of inactivity (30 days with no new activity is the threshold) is to prevent the inevitable thread drift. Generally threads that never close eventually cease to have any real relevance to the original topic and as a result oldtimers tend to start tuning out new posts to such antiquated threads almost entirely, resulting in predominantly only new visitors posting to those oldthreads and wondering why all the established members seem to be ignoring them (some taking such quite personally). In addition, this is meant to be a more informal forum and there is neither a penalty nor a curfuffle on this forum if a new visitors happens to ask a question that has been covered 20 times before over the past 13 years because they were unable to locate all those old threads from many years back. Well, that and the fact that almost nobody will ever take the time to wade through threads that are many dozens, or even hundreds, of screens deep...particularly given the usual topic drift associated with such long running threads, so at that point what function do those threads really serve any more? They'll get us lots of extra Google hits, for sure, but there is seldom much useful content that the visitor can still locate in such threads after they click on the search link and try wading through it all.

With sites that never close threads it can be especially difficult to locate relevant answers where the content they are really looking for is likely buried miles deep in threads hundreds of screens deep that technically had nothing to do with the original topic the visitor was searching for -- it is difficult to know you need to search a thread on "tablesaw blades" to find the tip you needed on "spray finishing"! Anyone who has ever researched a Windows related issue has no doubt numerous times stumbled upon a such forums where an old Windows 2000 thread, now more than 1000 screens deep, and 18 years old, is still being actively posted too -- yet almost all of the content in the thread has little, if anything, to do with Windows 2000 nor the original issue with that operating system that the thread purports to cover, rather people have continued to post thousands upon thousands of random Windows 98, ME, XP, Server 20xx, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and today they will still be posting Windows 10 questions to that same ancient thread...and likely some Linux and Mac OS questions as well, just to round out the topic drift And, of course, no thread has truly reached driftopia until the Nazis, Hitler, and Nuclear Armageddon are somehow brought into discussion through grammatical and topical gymnastics worthy of the next Olympics! You see, it just happened in this thread, too. :D

But ultimately it makes for a more topically relevant site since most threads never drift too far off their intended topic and the various topical forums we have actually retain a far higher degree of topical relevance which makes it much easier to search on your intended topic as the answer is highly likely to appear within its logical forum section. It also helps to keep things friendly since even more heated or controversial topics will eventually come to a close which greatly reduces the need to moderate member posts or behavior since someone stumbling on the thread months, or years, later can no longer bump it to the top and reignite the conflagration all over again...and again...and again....

That said, the original author of a thread may always request that an admin reopen a closed thread of theirs if they have need to continue a past thread that has been inactive for several months, such as if following up on a tool repair where it took months to obtain the parts or to find the shop time to effect the repair.

Brogan

New User
It's not just the author who is prevented from replying though, I have encountered many threads I wanted to comment on, only to find they are closed.

I've been a member of many forums for decades and have never encountered any of the issues raised in this thread as an argument for why closing threads is a good idea.

Still, your site, your rules, but I guarantee you are stifling discussion with this policy - I can't be the only one who has been prevented from posting a perfectly valid message on an existing thread.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's not just the author who is prevented from replying though, I have encountered many threads I wanted to comment on, only to find they are closed.

I've been a member of many forums for decades and have never encountered any of the issues raised in this thread as an argument for why closing threads is a good idea.

Still, your site, your rules, but I guarantee you are stifling discussion with this policy - I can't be the only one who has been prevented from posting a perfectly valid message on an existing thread.

Personally, It's inconvenient to wade through older threads that run too long with no current discussion and things get lost in the shuffle like this prompt "view beyond current depth". At some point the OP's questions have been answered/resolved and the rest becomes archival information.

Rather than re-opening a thread that's 2-3 months old why not simply reference that old thread in a new thread? Like...

"Dropzone project continued" (or 2 or WIP cont). See the earlier discussion here...https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64078.

That's simpler, IMO, and refreshes the topic without a lot of old baggage.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
If the OP closes their thread then I believe it would be wrong for just any random user to be able to re-open it. I'm not sure I'd even agree that an admin should re-open it in that circumstance. What would even be a legitimate reason for anyone other than the OP to re-open a thread if the OP closed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors