Whut have I done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
After spending the greater part of this nice mild winter working on my chairs and tables, and moving them as well as the ugly (in my mind) tables for my kids out of the shop, I was possessed with the urge to clean up a bit.

It's what, three weeks to spring (vernal equinox)? The days are getting warmer, and I rode the bike yesterday and today. A bit cool, even in the leather.

For the last week, I've swept, vacuumed, moved things around, put everything back in its place, waxed all the surfaces, dust ragged everything that wasn't waxed, moved everything off the countertop surfaces, washed them, sorted out the drill bits, charged the batteries, emptied the shop-vac, cleaned the filter, lined up all my short scraps in order of width and length. I even cleaned under the assembly and outfeed tables.

I found things I had lost, found things I didn't remember I bought, found things I have no idea why they're in my possession, and found things I don't even know what they're for.

I brushed sawdust off the walls. I cleaned the windows. I emptied both trash cans and began to fill up a kindling bag for my wood-stove-using pal. I cleaned the dust and chips out of the Makita impact driver case (did that while the batteries charged). I used a magnet to get all the panel nails out of there, also, and put them in a glue cup in case I ever need to install ugly 1970s panelling again.

I actually threw away some things I've had fifty years and still haven't needed (well, there's always next week).

Now, when I go out there, I can't bring myself to do anything that would make a mess. I can't joint. I can't saw. I can't plane. I can't drill. I can't sand. It would make a huge mess.

I did glue together two scraps of MDF with some leftover Liquid Nails LN933 (for marble, left over from the table project), and they set up a bond rather nicely after 24 hours.

Does this pass? Is this the beginning of OCD?

For what it's worth, I DID NOT clean out the sawdust in the PM66. I don't know how long that will last, but at least, for the time being, I've not gone completely overboard.

I'm not sure if I was nice or not, so here: :rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
well Jim... since you got ur spring cleenin done your welcome to come do mine!:rotflm: sounds like you been busy but didnt get nuthin done [woodworkin wize] story of my life! you'll get to makin a mess soon enough I'm sure of that!:gar-La; enjoy the clean shop for as long as it lasts.:icon_thum

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The answer is simple. Buy a new tool. A new router, or even a nice new router bit you just HAVE to try out. Of course, this precludes Festool, because then you wouldn't have any dust.

I hear there is a Woodcraft sale this weekend....

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm the opposite a clean shop inspires me to make a mess. In fact I can't start on something new until I have cleaned up from the last project and have everything back in it's place. Looking at chaos discourages me, neatness inspires to return to the chaos.

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Man, you're scaring me. Quick! Grab a sharp plane, clamp a piece of walnut in the vise and make some shavings. C'mon you can do it. Once you've got a nice sized pile, move on to chip makers - jointer, planer. Baby steps, think baby steps. :gar-La; :gar-La;

Chuck

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
if you're all clean and can't bear to mess it up.......
come on over and clean and arrange mine! :gar-La;

nelsone

New User
Ed
Since you're all practiced up, you should start a shop cleaning business. Judging by some of the responses, You'll have a thriving business!!!:gar-La;

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Since you're all practiced up, you should start a shop cleaning business. Judging by some of the responses, You'll have a thriving business!!!:gar-La;

SSSSHHHHHH..... nobody was offerin to PAY him!:no: but liquid refreshments could be arranged.......:rotflm:

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
It's got to be the moon, I did some of that a few weeks ago, almost the same list, not in the same order. Now the only difference is today you can't tell that I did much of that as I did put shavings back on the floor, and have another project almost done. It did feel good to have the place picked up and straight for one short period of time though. Now I'd go into the shop cleaning business, and would work for tools...:wink_smil

DavidF

New User
David
I'm the opposite a clean shop inspires me to make a mess. In fact I can't start on something new until I have cleaned up from the last project and have everything back in it's place. Looking at chaos discourages me, neatness inspires to return to the chaos.

Dave:)

I'm exactly the same, can't start a new project without the shop being spotless first! I just did my clean up ready to start the table. Carol has been known to mention that she could do with that level of enthusiasm with the house work!!!

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I'm exactly the same, can't start a new project without the shop being spotless first! I just did my clean up ready to start the table. Carol has been known to mention that she could do with that level of enthusiasm with the house work!!!

Spotless??? Can a shop be spotless ever? Maybe I don't have that much clean in me. I thought I was a clean freak, but spotless is an amazingly great thing. My shop was spotless when I built it, then I moved in....:gar-Bi

DavidF

New User
David
Spotless??? Can a shop be spotless ever? Maybe I don't have that much clean in me. I thought I was a clean freak, but spotless is an amazingly great thing. My shop was spotless when I built it, then I moved in....:gar-Bi
Well spotless might be putting too fine a point on it, but you get the drift.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS