Who would have thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorick

New User
Keith
Who would have thought buying tools was so hard. I have a question about a bandsaw and could use some advise. I have been looking at purchasing a bandsaw. This will be my first bandsaw and I didn't want to make the mistake (tablesaw???) of buying something and out-growing it in a year. I have been looking at the Jet bandsaw and am trying to figure out if 1/4 horsepower is worth an extra $100. I have looked at the 1 hp and 1 1/4 hp models (14") and can't decide if I should spend the extra money to get the extra hp. If I get the 1 hp model I can go ahead and get the riser block and not go over budget. Yes, I have a budget (at least my wife thinks so:-D ).

I also looked at the 14" grizzly and can get the 1 hp Jet for the same price, once I include shipping. I would pray to the "Wood Gods":eusa_pray for the answers, but thought you guys would be able to help sooner.

Go BEARRRRRRS!:eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would get as much HP as you can. If you get a lower powered saw and add a riser block it will be even more underpowered for it's larger capacity. What are you wanting to do with the bandsaw? I have a 14" and it has been all I've needed. I only have a 6" jointer so most of my stock starts at 6" wide. With a larger saw and bigger stock I couldn't joint the face flat between re-saw cuts. My saw is the Griz 0555Z and I have been very happy with it's performance. IIRC, it's 1½" HP and I have slowed it down with a full 6" re-saw. I think that you get a lot of machine for your buck going with Grizzly.
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would look at the amperage ratings versus the HP and then compare. If you are going to do resawing then the extra HP will come in good. I don't know that it is worth an extra $100 though. Anything else different about it, carter guides, quick release tension bar?

yorick

New User
Keith
Thanks for the info guys. I also have a 6" jointer so I don't see myself resawing much more then that unless I win the lottery and can stock my shop with all of the latest and greatest machines. I really like that Grizzly DaveO has. I was trying to stick to a $600 budget. Is there anyone local that sells that Griz so the shipping doesn't eat up the budget. The 1 1/4 Jet I mentioned is right at $599 but offers free shipping. The bad thing about the Jet is it doesn't include the fence ($89-$100). I am not in a hurry to get the saw so if there is a better time to purchase or if I should wait for a sale I can do so. Thanks again!:icon_thum

Toddler

New User
Todd
Alas Poor Yorik,
I knew him for a Bears Fan.
Just kidding. I'm a Giants fan :(

Anyway, I just bought the steel city 16" saw. I was told they have a $100 rebate on their new 14" saw, it's heavier than the other two and might be worth looking at. It's 1.5HP, again, no fence.

If you go that route or the Jet, I have plans for an auxiliary table and fence you can build. The link is on my other computer if you want it.
Edit:
The steel city is $659.99 (aka$660) - $100 for the rebate. So it's $560.
http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products/50100/50100.pdf
It has an enclosed base with a built in Mobile Base!!!
I figure the mobile base is worth an extra $50, and Steel City appears to be build better than the Jet so I'd take this over the 1 1/4 hp Jet any day. Of course you'll have to pick it up. It'd be another $80 to have it delivered to your door. The jet specs say it's 190#, the SC is a lot more, 270#. Not sure if the jet has a quick release tension lever. Not sure if the 14" steel city uses their dual tension spring design.

I'd also watch Craigs list if you aren't in a rush!

Regards,
Todd

yorick

New User
Keith
I won't hold that Giants thing against you. I will just act like I never heard it.

Where did you buy your steel city from? Is there some place local or did you order it. Picking it up isn't a problem (well maybe 240+ lbs might be a little much for my back):BangHead: . It looks like a great saw.
I have looked on craigslist for about 6 months now and nothing pops up for bandsaws that often. When they do it takes about a minute to sell them. I have missed 2 already. Plus I wouldn't mind getting something new with the warranty and all the special trimmings.
Thanks again and I might be after you for the fence.

jwallwork

John
Corporate Member
Steel city is listing Blume tools in Charlotte and Woodworking Supply in Graham (near Burlington) as Distributors.
As a guy who is in the process of upgrading his Jet 14" 3/4 hp, I would seriously look at the Steel City Bandsaw.
I like the Jet, but think it is a bit overpriced for what I actually got. Now I'm looking at upgrading the motor to a 1.5 hp.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Keith,

This reply is going to sound like a sales pitch, so apologies in advance. I'm a neophyte and my advice is worth what I charge for it.

I bought my saw at Woodworker Supply in Graham. I think it's about a 45minute drive for you, but they don't have any in stock right now. I was just there two days ago.

The saw is 271# after you unpack it 8-O 291# packed. That means it's 80 lbs more than the Jet and ~40# more than the Grizzly with a fence on it. I saw Dave's Grizzly and it's pretty heavy duty so the steel city must be a beast. 5 yr warranty is nice too.

The saw doesn't show on woodworker.com, woodworker supplies web site, but it's in their paper catalog. I called them before posting this and Jennifer said the rebate is still on it, and it is for $100. Steel City's web site says it ends today, but Jennifer said it is extended to March, so no rush.

Also, I finally figured out how to find that link. I searched for Engler and bandsaw table. Auxiliary Band Saw Table - Printable
I saw it online a week ago, printed the web page out, and stuck it in the bandsaw book I was reading. 20 pages later I found the plans in that same book. (reminds me, have to photocopy something for someone. . . DaveO)

I'm going to build that table eventually. For now I'll make due with the fence I have, I have to build a workbench and an electric guitar first.

Hope this didn't sound too much like a sales pitch.

Todd

Toddler

New User
Todd
I saw this and wondered about it for a minute thinking maybe 1 1/2 hp, but the only "16inch" I could find by delta was the 28-560, which is a 3 wheel metal cutting bandsaw. Those are 1/2 hp. Oh well.
Todd
Drill press, band saw

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If that is the one I saw on CL last night (can't look at work), then that is a lot of cash. It was for a benchtop drill press and a small 3 wheel bandsaw for $600 for both. Too rich for my blood. I used to have that 3 wheel bandsaw and it was notorious for breaking blades.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If that is the one I saw on CL last night (can't look at work), then that is a lot of cash. It was for a benchtop drill press and a small 3 wheel bandsaw for $600 for both. Too rich for my blood. I used to have that 3 wheel bandsaw and it was notorious for breaking blades.

i saw that too. WOW!!! i think you can get those tools brand new for less than that.

fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS