White Laquer Kitchen Cabinets Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My 10 y/o kitchen cabinet doors have a sprayed on white laquer finish which has cracked/crazed and in some places has started flaking off. This started about 7 years ago and we had them refinished by the cabinet shop who fabricated them. The problem returned and that shop has closed up. My lovely and talented wife had a brainstorm that we should repaint them and apply an "Antiquing" finish. My memory goes back to the early '70's and my mother doing this to some furniture :tongue2: . Needless to say, I want this to turn out better than that. How do I prevent the cracks and peeling from returning? Type of prep and paint? Brush vs roller vs spray?
Can anyone offer any advice on how to approach this please?
Thanks!
Mark

woodguy1975

New User
John
The problem is your cabinet shop didn't use a vinyl sealer. That is required for lacquer in high humidty areas like a kitchen. Without it wood expands and contracts and the finishe can't move.

Gotta have that vinyl sealer.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for your comment. Should I sand the doors down to bare wood and start over or is there something I can seal the laquer coat?

jmauldin

New User
Jim
You will need to sand them down so as not to feel or see any of the cracks. It's not necessary to strip, as you can spray lacq over lacq. By the way, you really can't brush lacq, although you can brush on Deft if it is a small area. You really need to spray it on.
Jim in Mayberry

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks Jim!
Would I not be asking for the same problems in a few years with lacquer? I think that is what they did the last time. How about other paints? If I do go with lacquer could I put a glaze finish (new term for Antiquing) on top of it?
This is starting to sound like justification for an HVLP sprayer set-up and/or a new door bit set.:lol:
Thanks!
Mark

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
I agree with everyone, need to seal it. Also, this would be a great time to get a sprayer and door bit set. Possibly a new belt sander????:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS