Which Harbor Freight Framing Nailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I just got the 98917 a couple of weeks ago. If all goes well I will have my first chance to use it in the next couple of days.

I got that model because I wanted the 28 degree angle. Should make it a little easier to get into tighter spaces.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I have the 98751, 6-in-1. It has worked fine for the last couple of years. I don't use it a lot, but it sure is handy when I need it.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
If your planning on using alot, don't buy any of them. Also, make sure you can buy nails somewhere near where u live. My father bought one, but is unable to buy the nails at any of the box stores, thus he has to drive a good distance to buy the nails!!

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions. I'll be building a 10 by 40 lean-to on a side of the old shop building, and maybe another on the end of the newer shop in the future.
I can satisfy my self with woodworking, but make no claims on my carpentry skills!

For a framing newb, what's the deal on the different angles with nailer's? To get into tighter spaces?

And Skip, OUCH!!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
If your planning on using alot, don't buy any of them. Also, make sure you can buy nails somewhere near where u live. My father bought one, but is unable to buy the nails at any of the box stores, thus he has to drive a good distance to buy the nails!!

+1 You can find a much better gun on Craigs list or borrow one of mine if you need one real soon. Look for a hitachi, senco, paslode, or porter cable. In my opinion the difference between a hitachi and a HF gun would be about the same as a Tradesman table saw and a Unisaw

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My Porter Cable FR350 uses 22 degree nails. I think the common angles are 22 degrees for plastic collated (round head?) and 34 degrees for paper (clip head?) but may be wrong. However, Paslode, Senco, and Porter cable nails are readily available at most of the big box stores. Don't know about the building codes where you are, but some areas (particularly coastal, hurricane wind areas), require round head nails as opposed to clip head, so that may be a factor in your choice. Regardless, make sure you can get a good selection of "bullets" (i. e. nails) because building sheds, etc, will require both 3+" and 2" range nails.

Another factor is how easy it is to set the depth of the nail driven. Some models are a real pain, and altho you can lower air pressure for smaller nails, being able to easily reset the nailer's punch is a big advantage.

You do not want any gun that cannot be set to where you have to pull the trigger to fire the nail. Those that only auto-fire when pressed are not good for angled nail application (like toe nailing studs). Auto-fire is also more dangerous, but can be an advantage when doing sheathing. For the beginner, it also results in a lot of double nails until you get the hang of it (DAMHIKT)

JMTCW and I am no expert.

Go

PS. Although my Porter Cable does, and has done, a fine job for me as an occasional user (I have built a couple sheds, and walled in a car port), it sometimes does not have the punch needed for 16d nails into hard studs. I would have bought a Senco, but they did not have the round head model when I was in need.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I had the 98751 (6-in-1), and it worked fine. A year after I bought it though, I needed to build a fence... From what I recall (I may be wrong), the specs say it can fire a 2" nail, but the shortest 10-gauge nails at the Raleigh store were like 2-3/8"... too long for nailing the pickets to 2x4s. I went to HD and Lowes and couldn't find any 10-gauge 21°, 28° or 34° nails at 2". The Paslode I replaced it with uses 30° nails. The guy at Home Depot said the 30° nails might have worked on the HF nailer, but I decided just to replace it.

mxracer

New User
Dan
I have had the 98917 for a few years now. I bought it at an auction in Charlotte for $30 if I recall correctly. I've framed and boarded a 20x45 tractor shed, framed a 30x40 garage and re-framed barn doors on my other building with it and never had any issues. You can find the 28 degree nails at L or HD. I don't use it every day, but I have at least put it thru it's paces.

I might agree with some that suggest you can get a "better" gun at the flea market or craig's list, but there you don't know what you are getting either. At least with HF you can take it back if you have an issue with it. I probably got lucky picking up the HF unit used, but I figured for $30 I'd take a shot. Worked out well.

The one other thing to consider is the nails. Don't know about all of them but the one I have uses clipped head nails. I think those are not up to code in a lot of places now, you need full round head nails. So if you are going to be doing things that require inspection I'd check that out as well.

My .02 :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS