Which comes first the grove or roundover

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Quick question - I would like to know when edge routing a curvy rail to accept a panel, do you route the grove first or the roundover? I can not use a fence on the router table because the rail is curvy so it'll have to be pilot bearing router bits. If I route the 3/8" roundover first then the pilot bearing for the 1/4" grove cutter won't remain consistent on the edge because it's rounded over. If I route the grove first the round over bearing wants to ride in the groove :argue:. It' 3/4" stock - if it were just a little bit thicker like 7/8" or an 1" my problem would be solved. Do I need to spring for one of those fancy cut both at once profile bits and hog it all out at once :icon_scra?

Kinda like the chicken and egg isn't it?

Thanks

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Jeff,

I think you already know the answer but I'll give you mine; buy a matched set and go forth young man and cut your losses (time). I found out long ago you can make do and end up spending a lot of time making things work or you can get the right stuff and get on with the project using the time savings to do other work.

Mike

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Of course you could always machine the groove and then round the edge over by some form of a hand plane.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
well....... you can buy the fancy bit set or you can borrow some time from someone who already has one.:gar-Bi whacha doin saterday?:rotflm:

J

jeff...

Lord willing Fred, I'll be at you place this Saturday for some more redneck logging :gar-Bi

J

jeff...

BTW I'm not trying to do some fancy raised panel thing. I think I need to get me multi profile bit for 3/4" stock.

Thanks

DavidF

New User
David
I have often just moved the guide bearing for, in this case the slot cutter to underneath the cutter then raised it up so that the bearing rides on the wood below the slot. You may need to steal the bearing and retaining collar from a different bit in you collection

sediener

New User
Steve
I'm not sure I understand... can't you route the roundover, then flip the piece so the non-rounded over side is touching the bearing for the slot cutter?

J

jeff...

I'm not sure I understand... can't you route the roundover, then flip the piece so the non-rounded over side is touching the bearing for the slot cutter?

Both sides are rounded over. I think I'll try Mike and Davids solution a template with a different bearing configuration just may be the answer I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors