Where to find 1x1 lumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradesp

New User
Brad
Anyone know where I can find 1x1 s4s lumber? Any species? I'm trying to avoid ripping 1x material for shelving cleats.

Thanks!

Brad

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
How much do you need? If you can find that in a store it will be expensive.

I would just rip it on my table saw.

Maybe someone here will do it for you...

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I'd suggest you try to find a woodworking shop or mill that makes molding or flooring -- they use rip saws to prepare stock for runs through multi-head molding machinery and they generate lots of edge cuts that would easily be ripped to the final dimension you need and then crosscut to the lengths required. In many cases, you can find their cutoff for free.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
I was going to answer: Inside a 2x4.

I think everyone else had a better answer though, so I won't.

K

ehpoole

Ethan
Keep in mind that 1"x1" S4S stock is really just 3/4"x3/4" square doweling, so you are often most likely to find it with other doweling stock. However, such stock is often no more than 3-4ft in length but can be had in a number of species (especially if ordering online).

If you need any significant quantity of such stock, it is usually far cheaper to create and mill it yourself from larger stock. You can do so entirely with either a tablesaw or bandsaw, but if you want really smooth and consistently thicknessed stock then cutting the stock slightly oversized and feeding it (twice) through a thickness planer will provide you with all the stock you might possibly need and all of it will be of a single uniform thickness (provided there are no large changes in humidity or board moisture levels during the milling process).

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Keep in mind that 1"x1" S4S stock is really just 3/4"x3/4" square doweling, so you are often most likely to find it with other doweling stock. However, such stock is often no more than 3-4ft in length but can be had in a number of species (especially if ordering online).

If you need any significant quantity of such stock, it is usually far cheaper to create and mill it yourself from larger stock. You can do so entirely with either a tablesaw or bandsaw, but if you want really smooth and consistently thicknessed stock then cutting the stock slightly oversized and feeding it (twice) through a thickness planer will provide you with all the stock you might possibly need and all of it will be of a single uniform thickness (provided there are no large changes in humidity or board moisture levels during the milling process).

That's kind of what I said.

The rest of it was just implied.

;-)

K

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I know where there are a bunch of 1x1 poplar boards "hidden inside" some really cool spalted poplar boards...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MGriffies

New User
Marc
The closest to a 1" x 1" would be to get stairway tread lumber at Lowe's or Home Depot which is often 4/4 (four quarters out of 4 makes an inch) thick and rip it to your width. If you plan to plane the saw marks along the rip cuts, then set the fence a shade over 1" for the width to rip. Hope it helps.

Good luck,
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors