Where to buy sharpening/grinding wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I'm planning on buying myself a hand crank grinder for Christmas but where do you find good grinding stones suitable for sharpening? Not sure of exactly which grinder I'll be buying yet, most likely an antique one off ebay so it will probably need a 4-6 inch wheel.

How about these Nortons from Peachtree?
http://www.ptreeusa.com/sharpening.htm#295

Rick M

New User
Rick
Unfortunately all the antique grinders I've found so far have a 1/4, 3/8, or 7/16 inch arbor and I can't find wheels anywhere to fit those sizes.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
If the wheel will fit then you just need to find some sort of bushing to fit the wheel to the arbor. You can make one or buy one. You RPM will be well within ratings.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Unfortunately all the antique grinders I've found so far have a 1/4, 3/8, or 7/16 inch arbor and I can't find wheels anywhere to fit those sizes.
I used a piece of tubing as a bushing in my Grandfather's grinder,still had a slight wobble and used a wheel dresser to true it.Works great now and I think of him every time I use it.
Tony

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Most wheels come with bushings to get down to either 5/8, or 1/2." Lowes stocks (in the hardware boxes) nylon bushings which would most likely get you down to what you need.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Update: Lowes had nylon spacers in a variety of sizes, about $1 for a pack of 2. They had a 3/8" i.d. to 1" o.d. that fit the green grinder perfectly. Just in case someone else has the same question in the future

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You may want to check Dillon Supply (there is one in Raleigh and Rocky Mount). The one here in Goldsboro had Norton wheels the last time I was there.

Go

Rick M

New User
Rick
The cheapest place I've found them is Amazon.com, about 1/3 the price, shipped, of anything locally although I haven't been to Dillons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS