Where can I find a Vacuum Kiln Sevice

BoPerry

New User
Bryan
This may be a non starter.

I have several large cherry burls. Air dried for 3 years. I’d like to cut them up and see if I could get them vacuum kiln dried somewhere. My problem is it’s not a very large job Someone may also want to tell me if I’m waiting my time. Dont need for large bowl turning. I need them for Turkey pot and duck call turning. Tried kiln drying the last couple and that didn’t work out as well as I’d hoped

Thx Bryan

BoPerry

New User
Bryan
I live near zebulon just east of Raleigh. Driving is no problem but i wanted to find someone first and then cut it but the bigger issue is i had my shoulder replaced 5 days ago but i would absolutely drive to wherever you think one might be once I'm sorted out which sounds like 6 weeks

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Another option (brain phart.) Can you cut them into small enough pieces to fit in a pressure canner? If so, just add a vacuum pump, and you are ready to go.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
What advantage does a vacuum kiln have over a conventional kiln that you think will help? What problems did you see when you tried conventional kiln drying?

BoPerry

New User
Bryan
What advantage does a vacuum kiln have over a conventional kiln that you think will help? What problems did you see when you tried conventional kiln drying?
Though I may be wrong a traditional kiln drys with a higher heat over a much longer time. From what I’ve seen burl drying is a nightmare. Most burl wood isn’t consistently hard throughout and can be punky in some places. My understanding is a vacuum kiln is low heat, removes water quickly and stresses the wood less. Once out the blanks would be immediately stabilized. The fact I’ve gotten quite a few burls is why. If someone believes that not to be true please let me know.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
A "traditional" kiln usually uses steam for heat. The traditional kiln schedule for 8/4 thick cherry goes up to 160F for the final drying step. I have a Nyle dehumidification kiln that is all electric. I never go above 140F in my kiln due to its construction. I just adjust the kiln schedules to my lower kiln temperatures by keeping the same equilibrium moisture content (EMC) conditions as the kiln schedules call for. I can still dry wood to 6-8% EMC it just takes a little longer at the lower temps. I am still not clear on what problems you saw with the previous kiln drying. If it was moisture pockets, a vacuum kiln may help. About any other defect can be mitigated by using the appropriate traditional kiln schedule and adjusting it as needed. It may be that the previous kiln operators were not using the correct drying schedule. I have never dried burls, but the uneven grain patterns will trap moisture in different ways. It could take an extra week in a traditional kiln to get all the trapped moisture out.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
It should open a new browser tab or window to Google maps, with an icon for each vendor we have added to our custom list.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS