Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Figured I'd post another one.... saw this one today:

c5_1.jpg 1c_1.jpg

f2_1.jpg 1d_1.jpg

Again, all in fun, trying to be a little bit educational in the process... ;-)

woodguy1975

New User
John
I see a couple things I think....

The knob doesn't match the period of the plane. The plane is prelat so it has to be a Type 4 or earlier. The blade markings doesn't agree with this period either. My best guess it is a Type 4. When did corrigated planes hit the scene?

Thanks,

John

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
I know nothing about hand planes, but it looks to me that the throat area where the blade protrudes has been welded or braised. Am I right?

woodguy1975

New User
John
Mtnman said:
I know nothing about hand planes, but it looks to me that the throat area where the blade protrudes has been welded or braised. Am I right?

I thought the same but couldn't tell if it was welded or rusted.

John

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:lol: oooh...ooh...I've been waiting for another one of these. I have not a clue to the answer, but I do see the handle and knob do not match...

Chris

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
You got me on this one. It is hard to tell from these photos. Ditto on the knob and tote. I am not sure if I have seen a Stanley with the tote secured that way. I thought they mounted over a pin and had a threaded rod or screw that went through the tote.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
hehehehe... figured this would be a good one... you guys are dancing all around the answer, but so far WG is the closest (sort of)!

EDIT: BTW, I don't know from the pics, but I don't think there is any damage or repair in the bed of the plane - if you see something, point it out. Also, I personally am not bothered by the color difference between the knob & tote, although it may be an indication that one or both has been replaced at some point.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
There is something gold in color on the left of the blade adjustment knob. See 2nd picture. What is that? looks like a bronze weld to me.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I think the last photo, the of the markings. I've never seen a marking on the handles like this. It doesn't look right ot me.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Lack of a lateral adjustment lever makes it between a type 1 and 4. The blade markings are from a type 16 to 20 though.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
OK, I've been sandbaggin' ya'll some... ;-) Hey, it's my game, I get to make up the rules!!! :mrgreen:

Here is a pic that should help clear up the confusion about the plane's vintage, at least a little....

cc_1.jpg

I thought you could see the plane number cast in the bed in that first photo... but looking back I can see why ya'll couldn't tell it was there. Don't look too hard at this pic... the only thing that is important is that you can see the plane number is cast in the bed.

There are actually a couple of minor problems with this plane, but one problem that really hurts its value.

M

McRabbet

Okay, so it's a Stanley 7C jointer and the tote has been replaced (nice new machine screw holding it on, too). The front knob should be a tall form knob but I believe this one is from another plane because this one doesn't come down over the casting as I believe it should. I can't see the front of the frog to see if it is original, but I have my suspicions there, too. Lateral adjusting lever can't be seen -- should be there. And the japanning is in pretty poor condition. Getting warmer? All the pics of Stanley 7's or 7C's I've seen had the "No. 7" cast behind the tote and either "Bailey" or "Stanley" cast in front of the knob.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

Monty

New User
Monty
BINGO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually there are several problems you guys found, but the biggest IMO is the broken frog... the lateral adjust lever is missing!!!

26_1.jpg

This kills not only the collector value but also the usefulness of the plane... :crybaby2:

EDIT: Just to be clear: it's not a "pre-lateral" vintage, because those didn't have the plane number cast into the bed. So if you see something you think is "pre-lat", that's a quick check to be sure! The frog does not have a frog adjusting screw, so that makes it type 9 or earlier. The "high knob" doesn't fit this vintage, nor does the more modern Stanley trademark on the blade as DL poited out earlier.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang, Insom. that is another great learning experience for me. But you may be spending too much time examining used E-bay planes..you should spend more time in the shop:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave(the pot calling the kettle black):)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
From what I've seen, if the No 7 is cast, so would be "Stanley" , I thought they put a sticker on the handle instead of stamping the metal.

Just a guess from a novice:)
Go

Monty

New User
Monty
Yep, some of the Stanleys are cast "Stanley", and some say "Bailey". In that very first photo you can barely make out something cast in the heel of the plane, but you can't read it.

Vintage Stanley's with an intact sticker on the handle are more collectible (ie, more valuable)... so don't refinish any old totes if there's a sticker on there!!! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS