What's the word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Porter-Cable 690LRVS 11 Amp 1-3/4 Horsepower Fixed Base Variable Speed Router.

I'm thinking about this router for my router table.

Is it good to go or should I look at something else?

Is $149 a great price?

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Mike. I got one of those FREE with the purchase of my TS so I can't comment on the price.
It's a great router for my "light duty" use. It may struggle with raised panel bits, though.
Maybe someone who has used it for heavier work will chime in.
Good luck...

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Hey Mike,
IMO 1.75 HP is a little on the light side for a RT. For $50 more Amazon has the Bosch 1617 kit with fixed base and plunge base. I have the fixed base mounted in the RT extension on the TS. It takes about 10 seconds to remove the motor from the mounted fixed base and another 10 to mount the motor in the plunge base.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005RHPD/?tag=toolseeker

Toolking has a recon set for $170
http://www.toolking.com/products/2100046.aspx?googlebase=1617EVSPKR

ken

Badabing

New User
Joe
Hi Mike, I use the PC690 in my router table and it works just fine. I don't use it for large bits often so I can't comment on that. I will say that I've done one or two raised panels with it though. I used a slower speed and made lighter passes and it worked great. I bought mine in a kit that included the fixed and plunge base as well as the fancy edge guide. I think I got it on Amazon.com for about $200 a few years ago.

I've taken it out of the table and used it in the plunge base many times. That is where this router really shines. I would not really recommend it for a router table even though I've had good results with it. I'm actually waiting to get the 7518 for my router table so I don't have to remove the 690 every time I need to free hand something.

Hope that helps!

Steve W

New User
Steve
Mike,

I've had one since 2003 and have used it for general routing, as well as in a table. I haven't made raised panels, but I have made stile & rail cabinet door parts with it, and it has performed well.

I would suggest going bigger if you're doing raised panels or using other very large bits. It's a great all-around kit with great flexibility (and loads of extra bases, etc available on fleabay).

Good luck,

:kermit: Steve

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Porter-Cable 690LRVS 11 Amp 1-3/4 Horsepower Fixed Base Variable Speed Router.

I'm thinking about this router for my router table.

Is it good to go or should I look at something else?

Is $149 a great price?

I got one for $30 at Lowes last year. For $79 you could get a 2 1/4 HP VS Hitachi from Amazon. At least you could last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS