What's the best material for interior trim work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Howdy all,

So, in the realm of 'it's going to be painted anyway', What is the best material to use for door molding (trim), window (trim), baseboard etc? I'd prefer it not be some finger jointed crap soft wood. Do folks just use MDF and get on with it? I'll certainly be running it on the router table before installation.
~Huck

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
MDF is cheap and very stable as long as it doesn't get wet. The slightest amount of moisture though will ruin it. Poplar is a good choice for an inexpensive hardwood that can be used for trim and takes paint very well. It also won't make a cloud of dust when you run it through the router table like MDF will.

I'd contact Rick Dinardo at themouldingsource.com and see what he recommends. He can probably acquire long pieces of whatever wood you decide on as that is pretty much his business.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Like Ken says... Poplar if you are using hardwood and painting it. Clear southern yellow pine is a good choice too. It sounds like you're planning on making your own?.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have done 2 homes with painted poplar. Working on #3 now....someday I will have baseboards

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've made molding before but don't plan to again - except for little specialty pieces I can't buy. I do not like milling mdf. Far too much fine dust. It also soaks up paint really bad. You have to sand heavily after priming. Poplar or softwood is much preferable.

I am redoing all the molding in our current house, room by room as time permits. I am buying the molding. I use mdf baseboard in rooms that will not get wet and primed finger jointed where there could be moisture. For window and door casing, I use primed finger jointed softwood. You almost never can see the finger joints. Works well.

huckster

Pete
Senior User
I probably will make my own and presently poplar is probably first choice. I've not decided on a design though. I've never used mdf in the house. I suppose it would last longer if it were at least primed on all sides to avoid water problems. I like southern yellow pine, not all the Blowes carry it though, seems to be hit or miss. I'd not see clear SYP. I suppose some places carry it though.
~H

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I probably will make my own and presently poplar is probably first choice. I've not decided on a design though. I've never used mdf in the house. I suppose it would last longer if it were at least primed on all sides to avoid water problems. I like southern yellow pine, not all the Blowes carry it though, seems to be hit or miss. I'd not see clear SYP. I suppose some places carry it though.
~H

Go to the local lumber supplier there's tons of it at fair prices. Another choice at the lumber yards and not the box stores is Radiata pine. Similar to white pine and it mills very nicely.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS