What's missing??? Now added new pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Re: What's missing???

As some others have said the straight legs make the bottom look heavy. If you were to taper the legs it would change the appearance dramatically.

But then so would Tom sitting atop the table in his kilt. PLEASE cross your legs Tom!!!:rolf:

It is a very nice table. Don't be so hard on yourself, Dave...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
To avoid the need to have Tom and his kilt stand or sit 8-O by my table to enhance it's appearance, I took some of the advice offer in this thread plus a little of my own ideas. Hopefully I have now added what was missing. I am now happy with the design of the tables :-D
They are only dry fitted, not yet glued so if I really have botched it up I can fix it.

End_tables_025.jpg

I put a small taper on the ends of the legs, and added a small floating shelf out of the Sycamore (Thanks Clay!!!) to help tie the top to the base.

Opinions appreciated :icon_thum

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The taper has lightened the look and the lower shelf ties in the color. Looks pretty doggone good to me. :icon_thum

Chuck

J

jeff...

Looks a lot better with the shelf and the way you cut the bottom of the legs.

DavidF

New User
David
The top overhangs still look a little large and the top thickness could come down a bit, but much better.

T

toolferone

The top overhangs still look a little large and the top thickness could come down a bit, but much better.

I was just getting ready to say the same thing.

Dave, my kitchen table is 1" thick with bread board ends and I beveled the bottom with no problem (I used hand planes to bevel it too). I can try to get a good picture of the bottom when I get home tonight.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
While I'm not certain why, I actually like the elongated overhang. It contrasts nicely with the floating shelf.
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

J

jeff...

I like to overhang on the top also. It's not uncommon to find tables with tops that overhang like Dave's. If I were going to do anything, I think I might rip down an apron to 3" instead of 4" and see how it looked. The only reason I'm thinking a 3" apron may look better is, it looks like Dave is working with multiples of 3/4 (3/4" top, 1 1/2" legs), so a 3" apron may look a little more proportional since it's divisible by 3/4 evenly.

MTCW

Thanks

sapwood

New User
Roger
The changes definitely improved the color and style "balance". And I'll say no more since I'm already in over my head. But I'll never be able to look at it without thinking about Tom in a [strike]skirt[/strike] kilt :crybaby2:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Actually the top is 7/8" thick. I didn't have the heart to plane such nice wood down any more. Jeff cut it thick and it dried well so it lost very little while jointing and at 7/8" I had got each piece totally flat and left it at that.
I could rip the apron down a little without getting into my tenons.
I might try a full scale model to see how much of a bevel I could put on the ends before getting close to the tenons (or mortises). The Sycamore does hand-plane like a dream.
Also I could trim the BB ends down a little, I have about a 1" to play with before getting to close to the mortises.

:eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin Ya'll are a tough crowd....thanks for the tips and ideas :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
The little tapers on the legs and the shelf lighten the overall heavy appearance the table had before. It is not a Shaker table but quite frequently the Shakers lightened the appearance of their tables by planing tapers on the underside of the table tops. This illusion of thinness greatly reduced the heaviness a flat square tabletop has. If you were to reduce the thickness to 1/2" at the edge it would make a huge visual difference.

Very nice work, Dave!

T

toolferone

Okay, here are 2 pics of the edge (sorry for the bad pics)

In this pic you can see the line of light that is the back edge of the bevel.
kt%20edge%20detail%201.jpg

Here you can get an idea of the slope. (I didn't know the finish looked so bad under there)
kt%20edge%20detail%202.jpg

I think I beveled an 1/8" thick and 1 1/2" back. You can also see that the top does move in the end, and you can see one of the dowel pins too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS