What would you call it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've been tasked to make something to go in our foyer near the front door. It's main purpose will be to hold all the shoes required by my wife and daughter. I am picturing it as a place to sit down and put-on/take-off shoes, as well as having some LARGE drawers where all the shoes can be stored.
I would like to give it name that will satisfy the search engines and allow me to find some commercially made examples. I could very easily design this from scratch, but my wife is out of town and I will need to get long distance design approval. So e-mailing her a few example pictures would be the quickest way to get started. Plus pictures always give me some inspiration.
TIA for any ideas of what to call it or any pictures of something that you've made similar.

Dave:)

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
I searched " vestibule shoe storage" and it popped up a bunch of benchy type storage items. I have a similar storage problem ...probably making something in the future myself.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yeah, after I posted this I started googling Hall Bench or Front Hall Bench, and I guess that is the best name for what I am looking for. But the majority of images I found were of the flip-up top style and not with drawers. I found a few that had baskets instead of drawers. Something similar to that would work, but I would have to modify it so there drawers that couldn't be removed or they will never end up back in the case.

This is the closest to what I am thinking of - Entry Storage Bench

But I would like better styling, some more curves. I was thinking of something similar but with "sleigh-bed" ends, a nice padded seat, and drawers instead of the baskets as mentioned above.

Any other inspiration would be appreciated.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would call it a shoe bench or a shoe cubby.

here is a blog with some ideas,
http://jdorganizer.blogspot.com/2007/10/leaving-your-shoes-at-door.html

How about a bench with a cabinet on each end?

Thanks Mike, I really like some shown here, I bet I could modify that style for drawers. The styling is right along the lines of what I am looking for...but I need mass shoe storage. At any given time there is at least 15 pairs of shoes by the door :eusa_doh:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
but I need mass shoe storage. At any given time there is at least 15 pairs of shoes by the door :eusa_doh:

That's what I was worried about. You're gonna be hard pressed to find something that will house 15 pairs of shoes/boots and still be able to sit on. Unless you are Manute Bol. :gar-La; I would look at building a bench with drawers to house the "most used pairs of shoes" and a separate shelf to store all of the other shoes, etc. Wish I had some specific plan, but I think you could design them yourself and they would look better than anything posted so far. :icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
shoebench.jpg

just a quick photoshop, but you get the idea?

cpw

New User
Charles
Dave,

Google "mud room bench" and "mudroom bench" and see if that doesn't do it for ya.

Cheers

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Here's my thoughts, crudely drawn on the back of last weeks to-do list. I hate to waste paper :no:
What do y'all think?

Hall_bench_drawing001.jpg

I'm thinking of making it out of Ash, as I have some with good thickness. I might do the panels in Walnut, just because I like contrasting woods, and I have some thin Walnut to work with. But I am open to suggestions.

cpw

New User
Charles
Should be a winner. I like contrasting woods too. Of course, work with what you have, but my tendency would be to go with the darker wood for the frame and details like knobs, handles, etc. and use the lighter wood for the drawer fronts, spindles/slats etc.

More inspiration? The "knees" on the lower part of the legs seem to be an important detail if you want the traditional sleigh bench look.
50.jpg
10631_bedside_bench22x52x23.jpg
sleigh_bench.jpg
23.jpg

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Here's my thoughts, crudely drawn on the back of last weeks to-do list. I hate to waste paper :no:
What do y'all think?

Hall_bench_drawing001.jpg

I'm thinking of making it out of Ash, as I have some with good thickness. I might do the panels in Walnut, just because I like contrasting woods, and I have some thin Walnut to work with. But I am open to suggestions.

Dave, that first one pictured by Gary (NCTurner) looks pretty efficient to me. It provides fast access and not having to bend over as much as the other designs. You could also modify the design so that you had a full height section on one side for boots.

OR.... combine the pivoting drawer concept with the design that you penciled out. If you make a tall back for it you can also store coats on it...

Personally, I think that you should build it out of QSRO... and I happen to know where there is some available! :gar-Bi

Scott

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Dave - in eastern Canada, what you wanted was a so-called Deacon's Bench. Basically a 6-panel chest with arms and a back. A flip-up lid is used to provide access to the interior of the chest where mitts, hats, shoes, etc. are stored.

A padded cushion provides a comfy place to put on/take off outdoor clothing.

Easily adapted to your rolled-arm design (which I quite like, btw).

deaconsBench-Final-3.jpg

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS