What WOOD Would You Use for this Gun

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been asked to make a replacement handle for a gun similar to this. It will be outside and on display outside a NC National Guard Armory. What wood and/or finish would you use.
TWO-BARREL-ZPU-ANTI-AIRCRAFT-SYSTEM-2 copy.jpg
071018-F-1234S-001 copy.jpg

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I would try to be as faithful to the original wood construction as possible. What kind of wood was originally used?

Finishes have improved a lot over the years so I would go with a more modern finish that protects better than the original yet gives the same approximate appearance as the original.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Whatever wood you choose, I would make two so they match. If you only make one, they may be a close match initially, but a year from now they won't match.

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would try to be as faithful to the original wood construction as possible. What kind of wood was originally used?

Finishes have improved a lot over the years so I would go with a more modern finish that protects better than the original yet gives the same approximate appearance as the original.
I don’t know what the original was. I can’t find any information and the one that I took off was plywood. So someone had replaced the original at some point

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will have to say I haven’t used any of the woods anyone suggested. So this will be a new experience. Looks like I am going to the wood store this weekend

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If absolute correct visual, then you need more research. It could have been natural wood finish, but it could just as likely been painted green. I guess that decision may be up to the customer. ( your POC at the Guard)

Color is wrong for most of the woods suggested to match the picture, but as you say, you don;t know if it is correct. You can bet it was not an exotic imported wood originally. More likely hickory, ash, or oak.

Any wood finish lasts only a few years. How likely would it be someone maintain the finish every year. Go ask a Choy Lee owner what it takes to maintain teak! The pieces are not too large, so have you considered vacuum pot some poly with something having an open grain.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Teak or Ipe would be my choice and oil it once a year . In my experience hickory rots pretty quickly. White oak would be my third choice.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I don’t know what the original was. I can’t find any information and the one that I took off was plywood. So someone had replaced the original at some point
In that case maybe a bit more info is needed. Where was it originally built? Any identifying info that may point to the construction materials? It was an army piece and many of those are well documented. Worth a shot, especially if it's been replaced before. There may be notes somewhere out there on that job. Never know.

I'd be inclined to believe it was likely white oak originally but that's a SWAG.

And Allan, I still love the boat :)

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
The correct answer is 'whatever your client wants'. If they leave it up to you: anything weather resistant that minimizes maintenance. If it's going to be painted, I'd use PVC. (My guess: it was probably painted. I can't imagine any soldier wanting brightwork on his AA piece).

The good news is the gun that the woodwork attaches to - if it's the same as your picture - was made by various Soviet Bloc countries and post WW2 China, so you can do a terrible job and it'll fit right in.

-Mark

two-barrel-zpu-anti-aircraft-system-2-copy-jpg.228794/

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The correct answer is 'whatever your client wants'. If they leave it up to you: anything weather resistant that minimizes maintenance. If it's going to be painted, I'd use PVC. (My guess: it was probably painted. I can't imagine any soldier wanting brightwork on his AA piece).

The good news is the gun that the woodwork attaches to - if it's the same as your picture - was made by various Soviet Bloc countries and post WW2 China, so you can do a terrible job and it'll fit right in.

-Mark

two-barrel-zpu-anti-aircraft-system-2-copy-jpg.228794/
That would be the hint on "local" native woods. The above picture does show them in what looks like raw light colored wood. It was probably something real cheap. Preservation will still be key as no one is going to go out and oil it every year. I go back to something you can vacuum infuse.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Historically the manufactures would use what ever weather resistant wood they could get cheap. With that they painted them while in service. For protection and camouflage.

helper

helper - woodsman
User
From a Russian site:

Sparen development anti-aircraft machine gun was started on a competitive basis on Plant № 2. In November 1944 year the first design sample was made WITH. AT. Vladimirov and G. P. Markova, approximately copying a napkin with a German anti-aircraft gun 2 cm Flak 38. B 1945 year sample passed comparative tests with design installation F. AT. Tokareva, which he successfully won. After eliminating comments and improvements, in 1948 year test sites and military tests were passed as an experienced model. B 1949 year ZPU-2 was adopted. Serial production was deployed to Plant № 525

Based on this, and other weapons coming out of Russia and China - most any wood was used. To that end, I'd go with what the customer wants...

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
here is the picture of the actual gun. Also a couple of pictures of what i took off. The Owner is indifferent and doesn't really care.

So basic in our architectural design, we are creating a plaza out here with a flag pole and paved area for this gun to rest. It will be a lot better condition then how it is now. The General Contractor is going to have the gun repainted. The owner doesnt have a lot of knowledge about this piece and its not a museum area or needs to be a history accurate representation. It is also zero chance that the Owner will maintain anything on it. So what I comes down to is the best wood and finish that will last as long as possible in the elements.

IMG_6643.JPG

3.jpg

2.jpg
1.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS