what wood to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodydiver

New User
curt
Hello all,
i am still pretty green on woodworking and I am looking for suggestions on a good book or website that goes over each wood type and what there uses strengths and weaknesses are.
I have only used ash, red oak, and some pine.
i will primarily be building bookcases, entertainment center and maybe a dresser or two to start with.
thanks
curt

J

jeff...

Curt - I don't know of a book like your mentioning. I tried to get DaveO to write one including tree Identification but he put his foot down and said NO. Most folks stick with a single kind of hardwood when they begin, so they can build up some confidence.

Personally Red Oak is by far my favorite wood to work with, it's cheap and in abundance, has great working characteristics. Poplar is another abundantly cheap wood that's pretty good to work with. I have just recently been playing with different woods but have yet to build anything significant out of anything other than pine / red and white oak other than I am in the process of building a slab top Sycamore coffee table.

My thoughts here only.

Here's a few of my Oak projects
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5198&highlight=daughters+desk
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2882&highlight=captians+bed

Thanks

oderus1671

New User
chris
I say just pick a project and select your wood to match the project. With so many types of grain patterns and colors out there, one wood might "match" your desired finish product better. Then, you can post a question regarding a certain type of wood your interested in in the 'Wood' forum, as there is a wealth of free knowledge provided by the nice members of this site. Im sure they'd be happy to help you out with any questions not answered there already. There, I just saved you a couple bucks on buying a book!:eusa_danc
Hope this helps.

woodydiver

New User
curt
Curt - I don't know of a book like your mentioning. I tried to get DaveO to write one including tree Identification but he put his foot down and said NO. Most folks stick with a single kind of hardwood when they begin, so they can build up some confidence.

Personally Red Oak is by far my favorite wood to work with, it's cheap and in abundance, has great working characteristics. Poplar is another abundantly cheap wood that's pretty good to work with. I have just recently been playing with different woods but have yet to build anything significant out of anything other than pine / red and white oak other than I am in the process of building a slab top Sycamore coffee table.

My thoughts here only.

Here's a few of my Oak projects
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5198&highlight=daughters+desk
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2882&highlight=captians+bed

Thanks
Thanks jeff
The desk and the bed are great,:icon_thum thanks for the info. i really like the red oak too, just like the color and the grain structure. i havent used any white oak yet.
i used the ash on some shop projects instead of maple. the ash was a lot cheaper, and it seamed pretty hard.

oh by the way did you get my email about the wood. i hope i didnt wait too long to reply, i missed the email for a couple of days.
i would still like some red oak mostly quarter sawn and maybe some flatsawn too (for glueing up panels).
Do you prefer to use the quarter sawn or flat sawn for wider panels?
thanks again,
curt

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
I am personally inclined to oak and ash myself. I actually like ash a bit better since it bothers my allergies less and I like the blonde color.

Alder is another good wood. Fairly soft (ie, don't make a table out of it) but it's pretty, fairly cheap, and easy to work.

Aside from that, I have to admit having a bit of a preference for some of the exotics if I'm making small boxes or woodturning. I have to be particularly fond of Cocobolo.

J

jeff...

Curt I have the QS red oak cut, but no time to run it to Raleigh - I'm currently waiting for a PM reply from the owner of 235 BF of BW that I have loaded on my truck to take delivery.
I would like to get the BW delivered this evening before it rains tomorrow. Are you game for meeting somewhere 1/2 way for pickup maybe next weekend?

Thanks

M

McRabbet

Curt -- good advice so far -- I've build lots of cabinets, entertainment centers and the like and my preferences depend on the finish look. If you plan to make items like bookcases that will end up being painted, try Birch plywood and Birch hardwood for the face frames and raised panel doors. In my Projects Gallery, you'll see an example from October 2005, painted white. I also like White Oak -- less of an open grain and less pink than Red Oak, WO takes an oil/poly finish very well (I use Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal, from Klingspor). Carcase construction is best with 3/4" hardwood plywood and, where one side will be hidden, use B-2 grade and save at least 40% of the cost of A-1 (3/4" WO A-1 plywood is nearly $80/sheet, versus ~$50 for B-2). Ash is great for strength -- I used it for legs on my Tablesaw outfeed table, but the grain is rather blah for panels or rails and stiles. Cherry and Walnut are premier woods known for their rich colors; I use lots of soft maple and maple plywood for cabinets as well.

Just my .02

Rob

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Curt,

I've got a reference book entitled "The Real Wood Bible: The Complete Illustrated Guide to Choosing and Using 100 Decorative Woods" that has photos of the wood, descriptions, characteristics, etc. It's available on Amazon.com. I think it's a pretty good reference. (my personal favorite? ... walnut)

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I found a great book at the local library titled something like "Know your Wood" or something along those lines. It was an older book, but wood properties and types haven't changed much. I didn't want to return it, as it was an excellent reference manual to the characteristic and properties of most common hardwoods.
It's worth checking what you local library might have :icon_thum

Dave:)

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It would probably be more like a pamphlet :lol: :lol: I really don't know that much about the properties of wood. I am pretty good at tree identification, but once it's a board I struggle right along with the next guy :dontknow:
Thanks for your vote of confidence though :icon_thum

J

jeff...

It would probably be more like a pamphlet :lol: :lol: I really don't know that much about the properties of wood. I am pretty good at tree identification, but once it's a board I struggle right along with the next guy :dontknow:
Thanks for your vote of confidence though :icon_thum

Hey you guys got dave further that I have, did you catch that? "It would probably be more like a pamphlet"

woodydiver

New User
curt
hey jeff,
i thought i would be able to catch up to you this weekend, but i have to go out of the country now for business. I am sorry, ill try to catch up to you when i get back in april.
thanks,
curt

OriginalChong

New User
Al
Don't know if you are sick of the subject yet but there's a site that is trying to sell wood but it also offers an encyclopedia of exotic woods and what their physical properties are including "workability". Check out Welcome to Woodworkers Source. I think you'll find some stuff that is extremely interesting. They alphabetize the wood species and separate them by regions where they are found.

On a personal note, I'm a rookie too. However, I love trying different projects out with different woods. I guess ultimately, the only thing you have to worry about it color matching.

Good luck.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
One of the good books out there is "Wood Handbook: Wood as an Engineering Material" From the U S Dept of Agriculture Forest products laboratory. My edition is Agriculture handbook No. 72 Aug 1974. I beleive there is a later version that Woodcraft was selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS