What wood to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
I am thinking about trying to build some Adirondack chairs to put on my deck for next summer. Am in the mountains and it will be a southern exposure. Chairs will be out in the elemements 24.7.365. Am thinking either cypress or cedar as the wood. Would either of these be a good choice or would you all out there recommend some other wood? thanx for any input and suggestions.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Cypress is rot resistant, widely available and affordable. Cedar and white oak would also be good choices.

ToolNut

New User
Damon
I just built a porch swing out of cedar. very light weight and weather resistant. Somewhat prone to splitting/splintering during construction (for example, I had to take light cuts using a pattern router bit), and I was careful to select mostly knot free sections. Definitely kept some CA glue and accelerator around to fix small split outs and cracks that were inevitable.

There is a guy in SC who makes/made cypress outdoor furniture in the Adirondack style - i liked how it felt and may be nicer to work with than cedar. He had some source of industrial cut offs that I would love to find. I am sure there are other super spendy and rare exotics that you could use... There is a place in Asheville called Scroungers Paradise that has a lot of interesting exotic wood including some stuff that would be good for outdoor furniture if you are ever up this way. Good luck and I'd love to see the results.

Anyone else out there have ideas on appropriate finish for cedar outdoor furniture? something in the deck sealant category?

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
both are good. as Damon said, cedar is prone to splinter. cypress is a bit tougher and heavier. Outdoor finishes are a whole other story. All finishes have to be repaired often, so no finish has been my choice for either cypress or cedar (and is easy to maintain :D).

thrt15nc

Tom
User
I've built them out of PT pine (yuk), white oak and cypress. Both the WO and cypress are nice but if I were making more I do cypress again. I finished mine with with some poly, but they sit under protected porches and don't get much weather on them. I think there are a couple of pics of mine in my album. I also got the cypress from Scott Smith here on the forum.

Tom S.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Cedar is too soft for making Adirondack chairs. Treated lumber is also not a good choice for anything that will come into extended contact with your skin, although the chairs will last for years. DAMHIKT. White oak or cypress are good choices.

Charley

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Cypress or white oak are my two choices. If it's in an area that gets high wind gusts white oak may be better due to it's weight. There is a big difference in weight between the two. Both will make beautiful chairs. Make templates of your chair parts because everybody will be asking for a couple of chairs!

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS