What wood to use for picnic table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Kuykendall

New User
Scott
My neighbor has asked me to build a picnic table for him and I am trying to find out what is the best type of wood to use without breaking the bank. I thought about using Cypress but can't find any 2X lumber around Spartanburg SC area. Does anyone know of a source for 2X4 & 2X6 lumber that would make a decent picnic table. Rough is fine since I can plane it.
Thanks
Scott

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
You might check with these guys for cypress.

[h=1]Goodwin International Ltd.[/h]
18056-T Mallard Bend
Seneca, SC 29678 map
Phone: 864-882-3204
Fax: 864-882-3129

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Without offending anyone, after looking at the price of the wood, bolt/lag screws, time, gas, transportation, etc., it seems like the decent tables sold along the highway, or even at the big box stores, are good deals. The other issue is where the table will be used. In a covered area, or on a slab, or on the ground, all effect the longevity of the table. I have had both treated wood and cedar tables, and the treated wood ones last longer, wherever the table was located. All of my tables required a spring maintenance of tightening the bolts and checking structural integrity, but the cedar table often required a staining and sometimes a board replacement. I was given a redwood table once, and although it was still in good appearance after a couple years of use, the wood was very dry and brittle. From that I expected that most, if not all, tables do require some routine preservative coating, again depending on the climate conditions of the area. Guess I have this problem, I like tables to last a very long time and get the most out of the precious wood and my money, instead of just getting a new table every couple of years.

Good luck with making one for your neighbor. I did that 35 years ago. Was very proud of my work and the neighbor liked, but then made statements; "it sure is heavy", or "would it look better with a redwood stain", or "can it be modified for an umbrella". So, I don't make tables for neighbors anymore, but I do help them make their own.

Scott Kuykendall

New User
Scott
That's what my plan is to help him build it. I don't think its right to charge a neighbor plus with them helping if there wife doesn't like something about it they get to take the blame lol. Its not brain surgery to make a picnic table and I think that it better to work with them not for them, you want to keep in good with good neighbors. Thanks for all the input. I can't believe that lumber yards don't stock any Cypress, Ceder or Redwood in Spartanburg area. Will have to order or pay the gas to someone out of the area that stocks it. You are right about the costs lumber not making it worth building one, but that will be up to the neighbor if he wants to pay the price.
Scott
Scott's Woodwork's - Shopping/Retail - Inman, SC | Facebook

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
We had a redwood table as far back as I can remember as a kid.
I'll assume we got it when the family moved in 1960 as I don't have clear memories prior.
My dad gave it to me when I bought my first house in 84.
We brought it to NC in 91.
Eventually retired it when the lab puppy ate the bench legs, circa 94
I took the lumber apart and stored it for a rainy day.
Last year I worked some of it into a canoe and paddle, along with some fir and ash.

That table got minimal maintenance, just a coat of stain every couple/three years.
Its not cheap, but it'll hold up much better than cedar and its much lighter than pressure treated.
I've been using cypress in my more recent boats.
Also light, and easy to work with, less prone to split than cedar.
Don't know on the longevity yet.

Steve

steviegwood

New User
Steven
There is a guy that advertises in our local paper for picnic tables out of 2x pine. 6ft tables are $100 and pressure treated tables are $125. I have no idea what quality his work is but it sounds like they are made like the ones at Lowes and other big box stores. Steve

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I always made mine from treated lumber for the legs and pine for the tops. BTW treated is now made with copper sulfate instead of arsinc. I would still use pine for the tops though.

Berta

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
The ones that I have built were pressure treated for the frame, but common SPF white lumber for the top and seats to keep the poisons in the treated lumber from being anywhere near the people or food. The top and seats then received several coats of BLO to water proof them before they were installed. Every year they get another coat of BLO. I've made them this way for friends and relatives for almost 20 years and the tops and seats are still holding up on them.

Charley

FlyingRon

Ron
I don't like to eat off PT. I used PT bases (actually, I built a trestle table base) and Western Red Cedar 2x stock (which the borgs had at the time) for the top.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
If I was making a table for myself that would be exposed to the elements, I'd use Ipe. It isn't cheap, but it will outlast cedar, redwood and PT lumber. No splinters, either. It is darn heavy, though, and requires sharp cutting tools.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Redwood and cypress are both expensive woods. Southern Yellow Pine, #1 grade is an excellent wood for picknick tables. It is very resistant weathering if properly treated and even termites shy away from it. It is strong, durable, and relatively inexpensive. Pressure treated pine lumber is almost always Southern Yellow Pine too. In my opinion it is only marginally more resistant to insect and mold decay than untreated SYP.

My neighbor has asked me to build a picnic table for him and I am trying to find out what is the best type of wood to use without breaking the bank. I thought about using Cypress but can't find any 2X lumber around Spartanburg SC area. Does anyone know of a source for 2X4 & 2X6 lumber that would make a decent picnic table. Rough is fine since I can plane it.
Thanks
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors