What type of Shoes to you wear in your Workshop?

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wear steel toe Redwing boots in the shop with ortho inserts. I actually wear them almost ALL of the time because they are so comfortable and have helped me resolve some arch issues. They were recommended to me by an ortho doc. The steel toes have been a blessing on numerous occasions. When I am not wearing them, I wear my Merrills.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Wide width Merrells most of the time. For heavy duty and winter, some composite toe Wolverines. I know composite toes aren't as strong as steel toe, but for a winter boot, they lesson the chance of frost bite, and I am not handling anything heavy enough to require the steel.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
I have concrete floor and wear Hoka shoes. There are miscellaneous foam mats but at the lathe I use a horse stall liner which is good for a few hours of standing. Then time to stop for the day.

prototype3a

Drew
User
Bare foot, Flip-flops, slippers or my every day boots below. I probably wear flip-flops more than I should during the summer.

Sketchers Arch Fit Tarver Composite Toe - Work: Arch Fit Tarver CT | SKECHERS

I really like those boots. Wax the leather when new. They're kinda stiff and uncomfortable but they break in pretty quick. I did NOT pay $140 for them but I also think they're basically discontinued or something now.

Seems like a lot of shoes and boots these days have EVA foam outsoles which is a sort of junk material and/or "memory foam" insoles which can be comfortable when new but quickly fail under the pressure of a foot. I've learned to always pull the insoles out of new shoes and inspect them for materials used and only buy shoes with full "foam rubber" type insoles.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
If you are going to wear running shoes be careful. Regardless of brand they come in different platforms. I started training and running 10K's at age 25. I have a high arch and a neutral platform. I found Asci's work best for me. I have been wearing this brand for over 50 years. I use mats over the concrete floor and always wear Asci's.

Gnospmoht

New User
George
My wife is a runner and works 12 hour shifts in a hospital, and spends a lot of time on her feet. She has HOKA athletic shoes and recently got me a pair. It’s a great comfortable shoe.

George

BburgBoy

Larry
User
I prefer Merrell Jungle Moc Work Shoes. It is a slip-on with incredible arch support. As a bonus, it’s got steel toe. I prefer the slip on because I frequently walk in the house from my garage/shop.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS