What to do with old furniture pieces???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am not talking antiques or anything special. Just stuff that I made a while back, before I really knew what I was doing (which I still don't, but getting better)
I made new end tables to replace these

Tables.jpg

And will soon be making a new bedroom suit to replace these as we just bought a new King Sized Mattress :eusa_danc

Otherwoodworkingpieces003.jpg

Otherwoodworkingpieces002.jpg

I am too cost consciences to toss them into the burn pile, but also know of too many faults/flaws in the pieces to try and sell them with a good conscience. I have considered donating them to Goodwill, but have had furniture refused by them in the past (too worn & unable to sell).

Anybody need some cheap (free) furniture or wood that only need a little planing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

lottathought

New User
Michael
My first thought when I read your title was "GET OUT OF MY HEAD DAVE"...
You will understand what I mean when you read my last post.

Here is a suggestion.
Find a church. Talk to them about a family that lost their house somehow...or maybe just really in need.
I am sure that there is a family out there that would regard these things as a treasure.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Another option if you decide to donate them, there is an outfit called the Guardian Angel in Fuquay. They may take em. But that's only if you don't find another use for them. Any way you could turn them into shop pieces? I dunno.. maybe disassemble them for jig material. I'm just thinking out loud here. Perhaps Craig's List?

newtonc

New User
jak
Have you ever checked out http://www.freecycle.org/??
It's a good place to list things for free,and find things for free....but you got to be quick.
I think you will not find such a "sketchy element" that seems to lurk CL.
I would hope people obtaining these free items are not showing up at the flea market and selling them.And I can't say it is the most neediest people out there on Freecycle,but they are people with recycling in mind and a budget at heart.
I have given up many things to freecycle in the past.And because of the quantity of responses,people are willing to show up that day and get them.And no need to feel guilty about not helping out with delivery....you are giving them something for free.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Craigslist is another place to offer free stuff of even sell stuff. Real popular and I have bought/sold/given away stuff via my local one (http://raleigh.craigslist.org).

If you have a local Habitat for Humanity resale place they will also take furniture.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Here is a suggestion.
Find a church. Talk to them about a family that lost their house somehow...or maybe just really in need.
I am sure that there is a family out there that would regard these things as a treasure.

+100 :icon_thum :icon_thum

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Did any of you notice the swag in the MIDDLE of the bed? Does that suggest something?
Jim in Mayberry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: Yea, it suggest we need a new bed, which we're waiting on the delivery of this Saturday :eusa_danc :eusa_danc Actually that is my wife's pillow collection, she sleeps with about 8 packed around her...probably to keep me off her :lol: :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:rolf: :rolf:

That was Peach, or more likely Flesh-tone paint :lol: :lol:

On another note how do you keep from getting 100s of e-mails from Freecycle??? They say if you select no e-mails you will be terminated 8-O

:eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
On another note how do you keep from getting 100s of e-mails from Freecycle??? They say if you select no e-mails you will be terminated 8-O

:eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Go to Gmail, yahoo, hotmail or any other free provider and start an account, use that for freecycle. That way you can just erase them and not worry about throwing out any emails you might want to keep. YMMV

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I already have them going to their own folder in my Outlook, but I still have to take the time to delete them. I just don't see why I need to get them in the first place. If I want to offer something, I can get an e-mail from the person who might want it, and if I am looking for something I'll check the site...simple, minimal e-mail.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
:BangHead: sorry Dave, I've never messed with freecycle. Who knows why they feel the need to send blanket emails like that.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, it is on Yahoo Groups. I had my preference set for special notifications only (like from the Webmaster). I have just changed it to Web Only, and if they boot me for not wanting a ton of useless e-mails, then it is their loss.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Dave, a round about way... if you already have a rule set up to route them to their own folder in outlook, you can modify that rule or create a new one to automatically delete those emails. When you post something you want to get rid of, turn off the delete rule till you need it again.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
How about one of the Habitat Re-Stores?

My thoughts exactly. Alwin Court, in Raleigh, intersects with Hodges, between Atlantic and Capital. This page has directions. http://www.habitatwake.org/directions.html

The Re-Store does take donations... and I'm guessing, if you built it, they will be happy ton accept it.

This store, along with its reclamation programs, kept 2,000 tons of material out of landfills last year... and was able to sponsor several new homes from the proceeds.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS