What NOT to do with a scrollsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
Anything involving a 2" thick piece of oak has no business being on a scrollsaw. :BangHead: At least, not on my scrollsaw.

Not sure what I was thinking. :dontknow:

no pics, heck, no picture was worth taking - spent ten minutes trying to cut and barely got 1" progress along the grain, changing blades twice.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hope you are using a number 12 blade. If so it should handle it.

sawduster

New User
Robert
FD makes an " iron man " blade that I use for 2" thick stuff
Ya just gotta be careful of the blade clamp on the DW788
....hitting the wood loosens it up ! :elvis: :BangHead:

cskipper

Cathy
Anything involving a 2" thick piece of oak has no business being on a scrollsaw. :BangHead: At least, not on my scrollsaw.

no pics, heck, no picture was worth taking - spent ten minutes trying to cut and barely got 1" progress along the grain, changing blades twice.

I tend to agree - it's about too thick. Using a blade made for thick wood would help. I know Olson makes one specifically named "Thick Wood".

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Greg, if this is something you really need done I do have some #12 blades and my Hawk claims to handle 2" wood. Just PM me and we can get it done.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan

LOL. Been there...

Hook

New User
Gregory
Greg, if this is something you really need done I do have some #12 blades and my Hawk claims to handle 2" wood. Just PM me and we can get it done.

That won't be necessary. Thanks, though. I was hoping to do a 3-D Fish emblem in the oak, I think I'll switch the pattern to something like a basswood turning blank. I need to shrink the pattern to fit some 5/4 cherry as well. Working with hardwoods is challenging.

On the other hand, I was getting through some 2" thick cherry last night with a #7 blade relatively well - slowly, but still did well working on the P-40E pattern I've been trying to develop from the technical drawings.

I do have some 9.5's but I think the only # 12's I have are pin end which means I'd have to break out the crapsman - I may try that or the bandsaw. Cross cutting wasn't as bad, but with the grain just took my patience to the limit and I had to work on something else. My frustration is over after getting through some cherry.

sawduster

New User
Robert
You can remove the pins from those blades and use them that way .

Scott that Hawk will definitely handle 2" wood :icon_thum That is actually what I use mine for , all the thick stuff. I keep it " loaded for bear " in case I need to cut something thick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS