What metal are staples used in Lowes MDf

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I was cutting some MDF today and noticed a staple on the table of my Sawstop next to the gaurd. I am glad it did not trip the brake but it made me question if my saw is working correctly. I assume these Mus be aluminum therefore the reason it did not impact my saw. The staple is not magnetic. Does aluminum not carry enough current to trigger the brake?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If it's not magnetic then it could be copper.... or stainless. Some stainless is magnetic, though.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
If not magnetic they are most likely plastic, specifically a polymer composite. I used to use them when I made stripper canoes. They come in many sizes and also trim nails and pins.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Plus 1 on most likely the plastic staples. They’re amazingly tough little buggers that can be a bear to remove even when you know they’re there in the stock.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've only had my SawStop for a couple weeks, so I have little experience with it. But I've read that metal will only trigger the brake if it is touching you when the blade hits it. A staple probably would not be.

Labels and staples are a non trivial drawback to buying wood at the big box store where the only thing the cash register knows is barcode. I still do it, it is too convenient, but it is nice to get materials from a real lumber yard and skip that nonsense.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Trust me, if the metal is too close to the blade it WILL trigger. I think it just has to smell the metal.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Now you have one of the reason I don't have a Sawstop. Replacing that brake every time I mess up is a little rich for my pocketbook.

Pop
:XXcompute

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Magnetic or not, if it will conduct a current, it will trip the SawStop break. I have had this happen twice, both times it was an oversight on my part (a.k.a. stupidity) that caused the problem. Fortunately, the issue was not flesh, but small pieces of metal that came in contact with the blade (BAM). I have always heard that with age comes wisdom...it doesn't seem that adage applies to me; hence I am grateful for the added safety that my saw provides.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I thought that the SawStop technology operated on moisture (like a finger, hand, or hot dog) and had nothing to do with metal magnetism or lack of magnetism! Sure metals are electrically conductive but have no moisture to trip the sensors!

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
While I am not an expert, I do know that the technology relies on detection of a very small drop in an electric signal within the blade. Anything that comes in contact with the blade that conducts current away from the it, will trigger the blades's break. Moisture (boards that are too wet), metal, or other conductors will trigger a response.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Thanks for the response. I have never tripped the blade and hopefully will not. However, a $75 brake and $125 blade is much better than a hospital visit or worse! Overall, the saw was not much more than any other cabinet saw and it is great to know there is an added safety just in case. I still retain the guard for 98+% of my cuts and also use a push stick. It is not worth taking the chance.

I watched a student cut the end off his finger in 8th grade shop class over 40 years ago. That memory comes back each time I use a table saw.

I look forward to the development of a jointer with the same capability. I do not care the cost, I will purchase one for the piece of mind.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Now you have one of the reason I don't have a Sawstop. Replacing that brake every time I mess up is a little rich for my pocketbook.

Pop
:XXcompute

Pop, This isn’t directed at you, but my personal experience.

The philosophy applies whether operating a supersonic or big wing jet 20 foot away from another aircraft or using a table saw. If I’m careless enough to trigger the brake, then I’m certainly careless enough to put my hand into the blade and experience a catastrophic injury.

An entire new SawStop saw costs less than just about any table saw induced emergency room visit. I have a bit of experience with foot and hand orthopedic surgeons. They are very specialized and totally different from a run of the mill orthopedic. Great to have in your corner when it comes time to reattach a foot or try to save a hand and also the original reason I read this thread. I still have metal staples in my foot and ankle. :D

I currently don’t have a SawStop but every time there’s a discussion like this, I question my judgement and pray that I don’t regret the decision.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Pop, This isn’t directed at you, but my personal experience.

The philosophy applies whether operating a supersonic or big wing jet 20 foot away from another aircraft or using a table saw. If I’m careless enough to trigger the brake, then I’m certainly careless enough to put my hand into the blade and experience a catastrophic injury.

An entire new SawStop saw costs less than just about any table saw induced emergency room visit. I have a bit of experience with foot and hand orthopedic surgeons. They are very specialized and totally different from a run of the mill orthopedic. Great to have in your corner when it comes time to reattach a foot or try to save a hand and also the original reason I read this thread. I still have metal staples in my foot and ankle. :D

I currently don’t have a SawStop but every time there’s a discussion like this, I question my judgement and pray that I don’t regret the decision.

I have a SawStop. This post has now caused me to associate my SawStop with protection from gruesome foot injuries. Bah. I'm not that flexible.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I have a SawStop. This post has now caused me to associate my SawStop with protection from gruesome foot injuries. Bah. I'm not that flexible.

Dave, There’s a reason my literary career is in the toilet. I expected someone would question the airplanes but not my foot.

If it’s any comfort, not too gruesome, the surgeon is the one that cut my foot off. The Bethesda surgeons wanted a sophisticated scarf joint but my Georgetown surgeon went with a basic butt joint and a hefty titanium screw.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If you search you can find reports of cutting nails with a sawstop without brake activation. But I bet it happens sometimes too. It's not good for blades anyway so I plan to avoid it if at all possible. But suppliers stapling on their barcodes doesn't help.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
When it comes to metal staples in lumber, I am pretty good at getting out all the ones holding the barcode tags, but that ones that catch me (literally in a couple of instances) are the ones that are in the edges of the boards and usually applied to hold either pallet/shipping tags or sales tags. Have found them in ply, treated and regular dimensioned lumber. I have also found metal (with my TS blade) in the interior plys of some Lowes oak plywood panels, so short of a metal detector, there is no guarantee you won't have one set off the Sawstop or chip a few blade teeth even if you are vigilant. In that case, it wasn't a staple, but appeared to be a piece of a forged dog used to hold sheet edges together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS