What material - Painted Flat Panel Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semmons23

New User
Steve
I'm going to make a built in bookcase/tv stand for a friend of mine. He wants it painted so I plan to make the doors from Poplar with a flat panel to match the rest of the house. I was planning on using 1/4" MDF for the panels since its just going to be painted. Any concerns re: material and/or thickness? Will the "grain" on the mdf raise much when painted? I can put a seal coat before assembly if necessary.

Thanks
Steve

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
A trick I found when making a bunch of MDF shop cabinets. If you'll be painting any of the end-grain, use spackling compound to seal it first. I use the little plastic glue appliicators to spread a thin coat of spackling on the edges then sand it smooth. The paint will then look a lot smoother when applied.

It also helps to have tools with really good dust collection while working with MDF. You'll really appreciate Festool for this chore.

- Ken.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would use the MDF as you stated. It works well, paints easily, is affordable and easy to find.

Red

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
MDF for painted panels is good, but I'd try to go w/ 1/2" rather than 1/4". That's just a little thinner than I'd be comfortable w/.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors