What kind of wood is this?

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
Hi folks,
Beautiful day here on the coast. My wife has an old White sewing machine. It's enclosed within an old style sewing table.
She has asked if I could refinish the table. I suggested we begin with the underside of the top to see what we're dealing with. So this morning I put some stripper on the top and left if for 3 hours. I went back and removed it with a scraper and then used some 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits to clean the surface further. I gave sanding a try, but it was either still a bit too wet or there is still some finish to remove as the paper gummed up after a while.

I'm trying to figure out the wood used. I'm not sure if it's stained or not at this point. This first pic is before the removal and the second is after stripper and cleaning. I'd really appreciate any help you can give me on IDing this. It's probably a bit redder than it looks here.
SewTable1.jpg

SewTable.jpg

Thanks very much.

rivens

New User
steve
What ever wood species it is, it looks to be rotary cut veneer. Be careful sanding.

Reactions: Oka

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
Thanks guys. I figured it was most likely stained. I'll have to check on the veneer. It was so dark on the edges before stripping I couldn't tell. And I'll have to put my reading glasses on. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS