What kind of Laquer/varnish is good for spraying

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihunt

New User
Mike
When my dad owned his cabinet shop, we'd finish the cabinets with a coat of sealer followed by two coats of deft lacquer. It was applied with a spray system. This was back int the 80's and early 90's and I think it's discontinued now because it was some unhealthy stuff. My question is....what's a good sprayable finish to use now? Or what type do you all use? Most deft products I come across now are for brush application only.

Thanks,
Mike

fergy

New User
Fergy
I've been spraying Magnamax pre-cat lacquer with good results for our kitchen cabinets and some other trim work. I'm using an automotive paint spray gun similar to what you were probably using in that cabinet shop.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I really like Hydrocote Resisthane water based. It's very easy and forgiving and I need both of those features. Believe me, if I can spray it, anyone can.
Highland Woodworking has it.
ken

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The Deft spray on has been re-labeled Brush on. Same stuff, sprays just fine when thinned ~10-15%...just more compatible with the California air polution standards when brushed on. I have a can of their water based product but haven't opened it yet.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
The Deft spray on has been re-labeled Brush on. Same stuff, sprays just fine when thinned ~10-15%...just more compatible with the California air polution standards when brushed on. I have a can of their water based product but haven't opened it yet.

Mark is exactly right. I was afraid to spray the brush on Deft also, but the Deft factory guy said it was purely an EPA thing, the material was the same just relabeled. I've also used the Behlen lacquer with good success. Like Mark also, I have a quart of the Deft water base that I've never tried. Generally, the only thing water based that I like is beer. :eek:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Deft still sells the lacquer as Furniture finish in spray cans. The brush-on quarts are more economical and just require addition of lacquer thinner. However, you may also want to visit some automotive paint stores and look at their "clear coat". Acrylic nitrocellulose lacquer is the same whether it is slated for wood or metal use. The difference is that the automotive stores can give you the correct formulation of reducer for the weather conditions (i.e. temp and humidity).

Go

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Deft still sells the lacquer as Furniture finish in spray cans. The brush-on quarts are more economical and just require addition of lacquer thinner. However, you may also want to visit some automotive paint stores and look at their "clear coat". Acrylic nitrocellulose lacquer is the same whether it is slated for wood or metal use. The difference is that the automotive stores can give you the correct formulation of reducer for the weather conditions (i.e. temp and humidity).

Go

I very much agree with you. The automotive clears work well on most surfaces with the right reducer.

Robert Brunke'

New User
Robert
My preference has been Gemini conversion coating. It is a coating that has the durablity of polyurethane, the dry time of lacquer. It is a water clear coating that is extremely durable. Sealer not necessary. I put it on cabinets and furniture. I use an air assisted airless sprayer. You had better be wearing a resperator for this one.
Regards,
Robert

roweathers

New User
Ron
Woodwrangler. If you can, how would you rate the smell and fumes of the Targetcoatings water based lacquers compared to a regular lacquer. I recently sprayed Magnamax pre-cat (in my basement workshop) and it stunk up my entire house. (Never will do that again!!) So I am looking for something much, much less smelly and toxic.
Maybe I should just spray an oil based paint or even latex with a clear finish coat since I am limited to my homework shop... opinions welcome.
Thanks
Ron

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Woodwrangler. If you can, how would you rate the smell and fumes of the Targetcoatings water based lacquers compared to a regular lacquer. I recently sprayed Magnamax pre-cat (in my basement workshop) and it stunk up my entire house. (Never will do that again!!) So I am looking for something much, much less smelly and toxic.
Maybe I should just spray an oil based paint or even latex with a clear finish coat since I am limited to my homework shop... opinions welcome.
Thanks
Ron

Hi Ron

Since the product is water based, most of the "smell" of traditional finish is gone (as the smell usually comes from the solvent). This stuff has 1/10th the smell of a traditional product in my opinion. It's 100x safer to use and in my experience with it thus far makes for a great finish.

I too am a home shop (hobby shop) and this fits in with the setup I have ... so, I think it would work well for you and I'd give it a shot.

If you're in Charlotte and want to take some of mine to try, you are welcome to it too.:icon_thum

roweathers

New User
Ron
WoodWrangler. Many thanks for the reply. I have already started drilling into the TargetCoatings web site for a water-based black lacquer. OOOufff was that solvent based lacquer a bad experience. Still trying to air my house out.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS