What is your opinion of a ......???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
Good Evening All,

This "might" not be in the appropriate forum, but I hope it's OK. It's a question about a power tool, but not about the use of one.

I've been wanting to get a table saw to use to cut my wood to size, etc. for my scrollsawing. I've seen a used Shop Master by Delta for $80. Don't know enough about good vs. bad when it comes to table saws to be able to make an informed decision about this thing. Good idea, bad idea, better to buy a new one?? What to look for if buying a new one? etc.....???

FYI: I moved this to the Power Tools forum since it seems more appropriate there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sully

New User
jay
Is it a benchtop unit or floor standing? Most of the lower priced units have mediocre fences and small motors. But if you just using it for cutting down small pieces, it would probably be fine. If you know the model number you might be able to find some reviews online.

$0.02
J

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
Is it a benchtop unit or floor standing? Most of the lower priced units have mediocre fences and small motors. But if you just using it for cutting down small pieces, it would probably be fine. If you know the model number you might be able to find some reviews online.

$0.02
J

It's on a stand in the picture, but looks as though it might be/could be a bench top that was put on a stand. Didn't think about motor size, etc. A few "used" table saws for sale on Craig's List which is where this one is, but guess you take a big chance when you buy like that don't you?

If I was to buy a new one, which I haven't ruled out, do you have any suggetions as to what I should look for as to motor size, fence, features, etc.???

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Cutting down large sheets is difficult on a large saw, and can be downright dangerous on a table-top size. If that is your intent, you may want to just get an 18volt trim saw and use a cutting guide. IF you already have a good circular saw, that may be all you need.

Go

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've been wanting to get a table saw to use to cut my wood to size, etc. for my scrollsawing. I've seen a used Shop Master by Delta for $80. Don't know enough about good vs. bad when it comes to table saws to be able to make an informed decision about this thing. Good idea, bad idea, better to buy a new one?? What to look for if buying a new one? etc.....???
In the table saw world, there are three categories. There's the low-end saw such as the Delta Shopmaster. It has a universal motor of ~1HP, aluminum tables and a simple fence. The next step up are the contractor/ hybrid saws, which typically have a 1.5HP induction motor, cast iron tables and a reasonable fence. Then there are the cabinet saws, typically 3-5HP, with large cast iron tables and a heavy-duty fence.

If all you want to do is cut small pieces (2'x2') of 1/4" plywood/ hardwood for scrolling, then a Delta Shopmaster should do just fine. You may need to fiddle with the fence for a bit, but once set it'll stay put. But it won't do much more than that. It'll cut 3/4" hardwood with the right blade, but it's not a workhorse, and miters will be a challenge. The table is fairly small, making it difficult to work with large stock, and the fence is not terribly accurate.

What to look for in a used saw? Make sure the motor runs smoothly, with minimum vibration. The fence should lock down securely and not budge when you apply finger pressure against the side. It should have adjustments to make it square and parallel to the table. Watch for excessive dips/ humps in the table. A straightedge should not rock back and forth. In the used market, you're unlikely to find saws with a riving knife, but look for one with a reasonable splitter/ guard. Reasonable as in "hey I can cut wood without the splitter binding up on me".

The good news is that if you buy a halfway-decent saw on CL, you can always resell with little or no loss it in the future if you decide you want more features. If you prefer to buy once and not deal with the hassle of multiple purchases, consider the Ridgid R4512, available at Home Depot. But that might be more money than you were planning on spending.

cpw

New User
Charles
Cutting down large sheets is difficult on a large saw, and can be downright dangerous on a table-top size. If that is your intent, you may want to just get an 18volt trim saw and use a cutting guide. IF you already have a good circular saw, that may be all you need.

Go

+1

A table saw is great from some things. One makes it easy to make perfectly square blanks, for example. But, for cutting down sheets I prefer to use a circular saw and a guide. This is exactly how I used to do it. I now have a Festool TS55, but they are a bit pricey. However, I still work on a piece of foam insulation on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS