What is your favorite sandpaper.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
It’s time to stock up on 9 x 11 sheet goods, out of 80, 100 and 150 grit.

I purchased wholesale twice from the same company, Premium Gold Aluminum Oxide. First time was superb, second time not so great. Still better than the stuff from Lowe’s.

I looked at Klingspor’s offerings, but there are so many types, don’t know where to start.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Almost exclusively the purple 3M stuff. Lasts longer. I will switch to their mesh for my ROS when I use up my Diablo pads, but as I hand sand about 90%, that may be a while. I do have Klingspor on my 3 x 24 belt sander, but again, I'll grab my scrub plane instead, so a box is probably lifetime. For 400 and finer, I again use 3M. I have some micro grit stuff but I have no idea where it came from.

I tried cheap HF wet-dry. Fell apart. Useless junk. I tried some of the grey PorterCable belts and pads and found them decent, but the 3M is better.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I get almost all my stuff from industrial Abrasives. Love the Rhynosoft pads. I find I use them exclusively for hand sanding. Stick to 3M on sheets.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
You are correct on Klingspor's huge selection. That's to be expected from one of the world's largest abrasives companies. The woodworking stores are actually a sideline. The options for woodworking though come in a manageable subset. I suggest you call or visit one of the stores. Someone there can walk you through the different types and make sense of their nomenclatures.

My go-to for the ROS is their Greentec. It doesn't clog as much and is easy to clean when it does. It is available in sheets as well and, should you have the need, you can also use it wet. For sheets, I use their aluminum oxide paper backed or gold cloth backed, mainly because the Greentec sheets aren't available in as many grits in the store.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I used to buy whatever the big box store I happened to be in sold.. did not think there could be much of a difference. Then tried Klingspor and was surprised at how much better the product is. Cuts better and lasts longer.....
I haven't tried the purple 3m stuff yet so that may well be the future, but so far very pleased with Klingspor.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I too use to use the stuff from the Big Box Stores, but once I found Klingspor I quickly realized that Klingspor abrasives are so much better. That said, I also get very confused by both the wide assortment of available products and the product coding used by Klingspor.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
3M and Klingspor. The Diablo mesh discs aren't bad, but when the 3M Cubitron mesh discs came out I switched to that.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
So for 9 x 11 sheets with Klingspor, what would you choose?

Stearated Silicon Carbide
Stearate Aluminum Oxide
Garnet
Paper backed Aluminum Oxide
Green Tec
Silicon Carbide
Gold ( Klingspor makes this only with cloth backing, but we can get paper backed somewhere else)

My current almost depleted inventory is Gold paper backed. After using that, the 3M Garnet at Lowes takes way, way too much elbow grease, so I don't know if the Klingspor Garnet is any better.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Garnet would be my LAST CHOICE! Abrasives are too soft. Silicon Carbide is usually used when wet sanding, as in the automotive body shops. Sterate means there is a lubricant added to help prevent loading. Give Klingspor a call @ 1-800-645-5555 next week and have a rep drop by and do some recommendations .

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Cheap but it works
Scott.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The local Woodcraft here stocks Norton ProSand sheets. That's what I've been using and I really like how durable it is compared to other sheet abrasives I've used in the past. Life is just too short to be using cheap sandpaper.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
So for 9 x 11 sheets with Klingspor, what would you choose?

Stearated Silicon Carbide
Stearate Aluminum Oxide
Garnet
Paper backed Aluminum Oxide
Green Tec
Silicon Carbide
Gold ( Klingspor makes this only with cloth backing, but we can get paper backed somewhere else)

My current almost depleted inventory is Gold paper backed. After using that, the 3M Garnet at Lowes takes way, way too much elbow grease, so I don't know if the Klingspor Garnet is any better.
Hi,
All of Klingspor's papers have a purpose. What are you sanding mostly? Are you needing wet/dry?

Our most popular 9x11 sheet material is Stearate A/O - PS33 for wood sanding. Klingspor A/O paper and latex backed sheets

If sanding between finishes to "scuff" use our Stearate Silicon Carbide Klingspor Stearate Silicon Carbide . If you are needing flexible material, use our A/O cloth Klingspor Cloth A/O

or our Gold Klingspor Gold A/O Cloth backed - by the way our gold and the other guys are not even in the same league of quality.

Greentec Klingspor's Premium Greentec Sheets is newer and in the 9x11 sheets, we have folks love this paper due to reasons mentioned. About impossible to wear out! The film version of this can also be used wet/dry - this is in the finer grits.'

Finally, our PS11 or Silicon Carbide Klingspor Wet/Dry Sheets is used in the metal industry, glass industry, and on wood and is our premium wet/dry application

Call 1-800-228-0000 and ask for Chris Smith or go to our chat line to get Chris or Mike and they will be more than happy to lead you in the right direction.

Coleman

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Garnet would be my LAST CHOICE! Abrasives are too soft. Silicon Carbide is usually used when wet sanding, as in the automotive body shops. Sterate means there is a lubricant added to help prevent loading. Give Klingspor a call @ 1-800-645-5555 next week and have a rep drop by and do some recommendations .
This 800 number is designated for industrial accounts - our 800-228-0000 is the line for the Woodworking Division and small shops to hobbiest.
Hope this helps.

And I agree - do not buy Garnet - this is designated for schools and very old school guys that like the paper to dull very quickly for less scratch patterns.

Coleman

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS