What is this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
THINNER.JPG

I don't know if this is a new product, but it just showed up at the local BORG. It's much cheaper than mineral spirits,which has gone through the roof lately. Directions say to shake it before use. The liquid looks milky, like Polycrilic. I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I like it. Far less odor than MS, and seems to do a good job on keeping brushes fresh. The label mentions petroleum distillates but says nothing more about what's in it.

Has anyone else used it?

Ernie

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I had gotten a jug of that by mistake a while back. It does fairly good for brush cleaning and general clean up. I am not sure that I would use it for thing paints. I use paint thinner to remove my patterns and the residue from the spray adhesive that I use to fasten the patterns to the wood. This stuff does not due nearly as well in trying to remove patterns. It is a lot better on odor and non flammable though. Steve

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
In looking at the MSDS, this stuff is an emulsion, which explains the milky appearance. It would appear that it is no less toxic than other petroleum distillates, although it may be less volatile, and therefore at a lower concentration in the air when it is used. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem to have much odor. I did note that they recommend use of an organic respirator, of course I'm sure that is also recommended for mineral spirits or anything else except water.:confused_

We'll expect a full report after a few weeks.:wink_smil

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS