What is the shortest log a sawmill with take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threejs

New User
David
I have some walnut from 2 trees that I took down earlier this year. One was alive, the other had been dead for several year, and dried standing. The dead on was 16" across on the log I measured, and the live one was about 12". The problem I see is that the shortest log (the 16" diameter one) is 4'. I think the longest one is around 7'. They are all sizes I can move around if I have to, and can fit in my pick-up.

Anyway, would sawmills saw up logs 4' in length?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Guess that depends on the mill ... but I'm thinking they'd prefer longer, but for the right $$ would probably cut just about anything that doesn't bust the mill. :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The answer is that it depends upon the type of sawmill, and the spacing on the "dogs" used to hold the logs in place.

I can saw them with my swing mill, but because it's a circular blade there will be a little more waste lost due to the kerf versus a band mill.

Scott

Ivey

New User
Ivey
My Hydraulic dogs will take a log that is 6', but I also have manual dogs that I use when folks come by with those 3' shortys. Man I would hate to have to saw those all day, but some times those short peices are special.

J

jeff...

I think the inner dogs on my Wood Mizer is something like 42"... I would have to measure to be sure... I've cut shorter than 4', so it can be done... I had to make a jig to hold it though. Walnut is like a fine wine, it gets better (darker) with time. As long as you can keep the logs from splitting you should be ok, bugs won't bother the heart wood since it's a natural insecticide.

You being in Charlotte might be a haul for you to bring to me. Have you tried to contact TheWoodButher (Randy) or Kyle? They may be a little closer to you.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS