What is the bar on this fence for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I've heard people say that that's the most desirable way to resaw - with the wood touching a single point versus the whole fence. And yes, it's removable.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Pivot Point Resawing. You set the bar even with the blade and let the board ride against it when resawing. This allows you to freehand the cut (and adjust for drift) by slightly shifting the board while feeding it.

George

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Todd:
The Bar is for resawing purposes, some people just use the fence to resaw, but if the blades drift is off too much you'll have a fight on your hands... with the bar you can subtly adjust the lumber as you feed it through...
there, clear as mud huh :)
Hope this was helpful
Gary

Toddler

New User
Todd
Thanks guys. I'm considering getting it if I can bribe my friend Mike into letting me use his truck to bring it from Woodworks back to Hillsborough. Pretty sure it won't have a problem with my 3" thick laminates, but I can't see it fitting in my trailblazer :-? .

One more possibly silly question, if all I have for dust collection is a shop vac, that won't damage the saw, will it?

Todd

jglord

New User
John
There is an article in the Feb. issue of Finewoodworking by Lonnie Bird on resawing with a bandsaw where he shows how to set a straight fence for the drift of the blade. He explains how you need to adjust your fence for drift. In the little bit of resawing I've done, I've never used a bar and have had good results resawing 4/4 stock for 1/4" or 3/8".
I wouldn't worry about the bar.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
No, I don't think using the shopvac for dc will hurt the saw, but if your saw has two ports, you may have to cap one off, the shopvac probably won't be able to move enough air to use both efficiently..

cpowell

New User
Chuck
When you get the BS, set everything up (tune it) then determine blade drift. Set a straight fence to the drift line (which should be very close to the fence setup from the factory) and simply use the straight fence.

I think a point fence (ie, using the bar) would be appropriate for cutting to a line on uneven stock or small logs. For rough stock, face joint then edge joint the stock. Run the flat face against the fence and the flat edge down against the table. I use a featherboard to hold the stock against the fence, which especially helps when working with long stock. I also use an outfeed roller on heavy long stock.

If you are resawing very wide stock then attach or clamp a tall fence to help keep the stock square as you feed.

Practice your technique on scrap.

Chuck

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
This is the only way I can resaw w/o a lot of trial & error and cussin'! This pivot point jig serves the same purpose as the one shown, I'm sure.
Every blade I put on my bandsaw has some drift. I correct what I can, but I won't spend too much time on the process, so this kind of tool serves my personality.

BandsawFence2.jpg

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
For me a bandsaw is a "roughing tool" nothing more nothing less.If I want an accurate cut the table saw is the tool of choice.
That being said the Table saw has it's limits for depth of cut.
I rip thicker stock with a fence or with a home made pivot point.
When everything is tracking right I would rather use the fence but that rarely happens.
Once I got used to the pivot point it is my preferred method.
I used the pivot point for the "bandsaw" pen boxes I made this year for the 7 bullet pens with wart hog tops.
magnificent_7wart_hog_122006_004.jpg

Toddler

New User
Todd
I read that article in Finewoodworking last night while my son played with trains in Barnes and Nobles. Then I bought the readers digest complete woodworking course book and an issue of American Woodworker. American Woodworker, seemed a bit more practical for a beginner with a couple of really cool Jigs and neat tips. Gonna build the

Gonna head down to Woodworkers Supply today. Probably order my first big piece of equipment so I can pester others a touch less.

Thanks guys.

Todd

sapwood

New User
Roger
Toddler,
Don't forget to purchase a couple of decent blades for the bandsaw. bandsaw blades wear out very fast when resawing. And the more worn they get, the more they wander. If LOYL continues in the "supportive mode" you could consider carbide blades; long lasting but very pricey :roll:

Enjoy,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS